DAY 13 - DIY Sofa - Minimalist and Clean Design

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

DAY 13 - DIY Sofa - Minimalist and Clean Design

sofa 900px.jpg

Without  ideas to write a post this year, I decided to share a piece of furniture designed by me.
You can call it daybed, clean sofa design, multi use sofa or whatsoever.

Obviously it's nothing very original. The difference from many industrialized ones is that I have it in the exact measurements I want to.

When you have something to let short term or mid term, especially a furnished apartment, you have to deal with space constraints, unless you're talking about a very large apartment.
This is not the case of my listings.

Keeping this idea in mind, every minimum space counts.
I keep in mind that I don't want to use lots of space to put furniture. I just want to put the minimum furniture necessary to make the environment comfortable, cozy and functional. I avoid large furniture, as I want to leave as much space as possible, so that guests don't feel compressed or crowded.

So it's from this logic of thought that I designed the first sofa some time ago that you see in the photo. There is another one in the picture, I think is the 4th edition of the original design 🙂
Yes, I've been replicating the first one in other 4 listings.

It can be used as a sofa during the day.
And if you remove the backrest, it can be used to sleep at night, that is, for short periods of time.

It is practical and functional, within the concept "Less is more" (coined by Mies van der Rohe).

I wanted something customized, with the exact measurements I wanted to, but taking into account concepts of good ergonomics too, for seating. And also to sleep for short periods of time.

So I designed it and mounted it.
I ordered the planks cut to exact measurements. And then I just drill the holes and assemble it using bolt.

As for the upholstery, it's foam that I order, cut to the exact size I want and to the degree of firmness I want to.
As for the coating, it is fabrics. And for this, I count with the help of my wife  to cover the foams 🙂

As I said before, I have used it in several listings with good results.

I wish you all the best. Happy Christimas, Happy Universal Holidays, Happy New Year. 🎄😊

11 Replies 11
Laura
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Well done @J-Renato0 , it looks beautiful and very practical!

Parabéns 😊

-----

Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad // Por favor consulte as Normas da comunidade

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Thanks @Laura ! Obrigado! 🙂

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

"And then I just drill the holes and assemble it using bolts."  You make it sound so easy @J-Renato0 😅  Great result - the fabric choices are so cheerful.

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Ann72  Well.... Something that is difficult to someone is easy to another one! 🙂

Robin4
Top Contributor
Mount Barker, Australia

Hey @J-Renato0  watch out IKEA don't pinch your idea, you are on a winner there.

All the best to you and Anna this Christmas mate!

Cheers.......Rob

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Hi @Robin4 , I know you are very good at DIY. I remember the post about your  house and the listing as well, how it was before and after.  It was a great renovation! 🙂

The same to you and Ade this Christmas!

Cheers, Jose Renato

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Always great to see woodworking skills put to use @J-Renato0 and it's lovely to see your wife Anna's input to.

Do you take turns with the nail and hammer and you make the covers?

The style of beds you have made are also great with drawers for storage under them.

Have you ever considered teaching your skills to others?

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Hello @Helen427 
Thanks for the comment ! 🙂

There is not any single nail in the sofa. I do not use nails to assemble it. Only bolts. I only use a driller to make the holes on the planks, exactly where the bolts will be fixed.

Who puts the cloth to cover the foams is my wife. This involves sewing (with sweing machine) and cutting the fabrics. No other technique involved.  It's a similar process to making a pillowcase for a giant pillow. However, the coverage should be pretty tight.
The foam that is used for sitting or sleeping on it is not fixed to the woodwork. It just rests on it.
About the backrests, it is the same. Just rest on the seat or flat foam part.

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Helen427  

In addition to my previous post addressed to you.
Here in this set of photos, you can get a better idea of the assembly using bolts.

sofa-bolt-500px.jpg

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@J-Renato0 great DIY by both of you. Size does matter as less is more space as well as comfort. By being handy it can be a saving, along with self achievement and your wellbeing. Congratulations. 

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Thanks @Laurelle3 !