[DISCOVER] Singapore

Yuan100
Level 10
Singapore

[DISCOVER] Singapore

Just like another major city in the world, Singapore is a known place for a transit or maybe a day kind of stopover. From the towering Marina Bay Sands to the amazing avatar Gardens by the Bay these some of the fixed spots where all visitors go. But if you have a couple more days extra, you can explore deeper to find out why this city is known as the garden city. 

Gardens By The BayGardens By The BayMarina Bay SandsMarina Bay SandsParkroyal PickeringParkroyal Pickering

Explore the park connectors, navigate your way along the roads, canals, river that links you to many parks. It connects you not only on the natural element but also on cultural and rich historical sites. It brings you deeper into the heart of Singapore, where communities come together. So hop on a bike or simply walk along with the park connectors and appreciate the adventures! 

Park Connector MapPark Connector MapConey IslandConey Island

The bustling open-air hawker centres (food courts) one shouldn't miss. As a modern multicultural country, you can find tap-beer to wallet-friendly local dishes like chicken rice, oyster omelette, fried noodles, satay (skewered grilled meat). Two of my favourite hawker centres are Golden Mile Food Centre and Old Airport Road. 

Old Airport RoadOld Airport RoadHokkien MeeHokkien MeeSataySatayChicken RiceChicken Rice

Jewel Changi is the place you absolutely shouldn't miss! It's the place to go if you have a few hours of transit. Or spare a few hours before you depart and take the opportunity of early check-in service in Jewel. There is don't need to get out of the airport area to experience Singapore. Jewel is like a summary of what Singapore is like. This stunning steel dome consists of gardens, attractions, buzzing dining areas and retail outlets. You can literally spend a day at this place! Until today, it still fascinates me how this development integrated so well together with nature. 

Jewel ChangiJewel Changi

16 Replies 16
Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

004EAF61-4D0A-4F9C-A5CF-A60BED5110CF.jpegThanks @Yuan100  for this account of Singapore. I must admit that for me, it’s only a “short” flight of around 4.5 hours. Well it use to be, when I could actually leave the country or get on a plane.......

I hope in the not too distant future, that can happen again! As a traveller, Singapore has always been “the hub” for us. The stopping point, or the pivot point for the big, long haul flights. 

Why would I travel 4.5 hours to go south to Sydney, when I can already be in the heartbeat of Asia for the same travel time?

When I first went to Singapore it felt so exotic, as are many other destinations that have been launched from here. I’ve also spent many a day in Changi Airport as well, crossing between the terminals. Not just it’s current beauty, but historically, Singapore is such an interesting place.

I’ve always loved it’s greenery, it’s cleanliness, it’s great fusion of food and spectacular transport system. The shopping is always wonderful, as is KL. I have friends who use to fly there for a long weekend! We’ve gone for just a few days or we’ve hopped across the Straits to Johor Bahru (when Chinese New Year has made Singapore too busy a port); then onto Penang and Langkawi etc. Or we’ve taken short stays then flights to Thailand, Vietnam etc. We were to be there earlier this year, but alas, Covid19 interfered with those well laid plans.......

Singapore is loved by Darwinites! That love affair will not disappear. From your Singapore orchids, to the orchids in my trees: see you one day, other than on Zoom ..... 🙂💐

Thank you @Cathie19  for sharing your great memories of Singapore. 

It is indeed a great hub to fly to other destinations. I feel blessed to be living here, I am 20 mins away from the airport and  I could fly to so many destinations. Ahh, I miss that feeling leaving my home to the airport. I'm sure we all can relate to this. 

There were several times I kind of tempted to book a spontaneous Jetstar flight to Darwin as the fare was cheap. I guess there are reasons why it did not happen. Now, I know a true Darwinite to give me some good tips when I get the chance to visit Darwin one day. 

I would welcome you anytime! Just ping me anytime if you see yourself coming to Singapore in the near future. It would be really nice to see each other face to face.

Till then! xx 

Yuan 

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thank you for that, @Yuan100! Singapore looks super impressive 😍

I hadn't heard of Hokkien Mee before, but after this picture I'm definitely going to look for a place where I can have that in London. Hopefully someday I'll get to try it in Singapore as well 😋

@Liv 

I found in they have it here!

https://www.singaporegarden.co.uk/

I love how London has so many kinds of cuisines. Yes, one day you got to come to Singapore and savour it under the hot sweltering weather for an authentic experience 😅

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

That's amazing, @Yuan100! Thanks a lot for the tip 😋

I'll let you know once I've tried it!

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks so much for sharing @Yuan100, this is giving me such itchy feet to travel! 

I visited Singapore very briefly a few years ago and loved the Gardens by the Bay - when they all light up in the evening it's magical 😍 

IMG_0903.JPG

I also went to a great hawker centre and sampled loads of great dishes - a kindly local spotted us and gave us a little tour of the market, recommending all the best ones to try. 

Can't wait to come back and spend a little longer next time! 😊

@Katie 

Ohh yes! It's my top favourite too to watch the lights at Garden by The Bay at night.

I am very happy to hear whenever travellers told me they met some kind locals showing them places to go for food or directions. 

Be sure for you come back for Jewel next time 😉 

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Yuan100 they were lovely, so friendly and really made our trip to the hawker centre special 😊

What's funny is that I flew out of Jewel, but I completely missed all of the amazing greenery - I need to make sure to spend a bit more time there exploring next time 👌

@Yuan100 

Two of our favorite former guests (who we stay in touch with) were exchange students from Singapore so Henry and I have an open invitation to visit  😀 . Hopefully we can take that trip soon~ 

@Jessica-and-Henry0 

How niceee!! Add another one in, you're most welcome by me too! I've been wanting to go back to Korea, I miss the cafe scene there. I can't wait to fly again. 

@Yuan100 

Likewise!!! If/When you come to Seoul, make sure to drop us a line~~ 

Nutth0
Host Advisory Board Member
Chiang Mai, Thailand

@Yuan100 I really love to visit the garden by the bar, especially at night time. Also, love to become a kid again at Universal Studios. Hope everything can be back soon so will have a chance to revisit Singapore.

R1439582.JPGR1439570.JPG

@Nutth0 wow you have such magical photos! I love Chiang Mai too as I am a cafe lover! 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Yuan100 

Oh Yeah, our first glimpse of the Marina Bay Sands........wow!

DSCF0376.JPG

We just knew we were going to be in for something special! That view from the top is .....spectacular!

IMAG0255.JPG

and we had to duck for cover when that 3.00 pm thunderstorm rolled through!

IMAG0257.JPG

But nothing could dampen our enthusiasm for Singapore....our visit to Changi prison....

IMAG0246.JPG

The wonderful food and the transport system.....

IMAG0247.JPG

Yuan, I would just love to be back there again!

You have a lovely little corner of the world!

Cheers.......Rob