Damage to my unit

Mike2433
Level 1
Missoula, MT

Damage to my unit

I have a $340,000 condo on the Big Island and had a guest break the chrome shower holder in the master bath. When contacted there was no reply to me or airbnb so went to report it to claims support and what a joke that process was!!! I replied directly to the emails claims support, Freya, sent and she did not receive any of the  6 emails I sent and closed the case. ! month after the gust left I was contacted by them because of the review I gave them was not a favorable one,  but deserved. Freya from claims took the side of the guest  and claimed that this was an allegation  with no proof ..... Really !!! It was not broken before they arrived and was dangling from the wall when they left !!! This is not about the $35 it cost to repair it but having accountability for their actions and I have a $250 damage deposit but that evidently does not exist. If this was to happen at a resort their cc card would have been billed before they hit the door. I am just appalled at the actions of Freya with claims support, I'm the one with the investment and the facts are that it was not broken before they arrived but was when they left !!!

3 Replies 3
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

Your story is not uncommon. You have to do everything exactly right, and at the right time, to even have half a chance at a successful claim against the “security deposit” that isn’t a real deposit to begin with. First, you have to contact the guest to see if they are willing to pay. If they aren’t, you have to take and submit dated photos, invoices, receipts after the guest leaves, but before the next guest arrives. Even then, if you get the wrong CS agent, and the guest says it was like that when they arrived, you may need a “before” photo.

There are probably other stringent requirements as well. And even then, CS can say no, and that’s it.

I’ve never bothered to try to collect on the Airbnb security deposit, and don’t plan to, especially for small stuff.  I have talked to guests directly, and half of the time we have been able to come to some sort of payment agreement. Surprisingly, some guests are actually honest and apologetic.

Every host is different - there are hosts here that go after all damages, no matter the extent. Some even have the right formula, and have said they were successful every time they have tried to collect. Maybe some of them will post their methods here.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Mike2433  Yes, Airbnb's CS dept. is abyssmal, and yes, guests should be held responsible for damages they cause.

But things do get broken in a rental, and I wouldn't waste time trying to claim on something that cost $35 to repair. 

You can certainly mention the damage to the guest, and ask them for compensation- some will be willing to pay. But if they aren't, I wouldn't spend my time faffing around with Airbnb's lengthy claims procedure, and would just leave an appropriate review for the guest.

If you aren't charging enough to absorb these kinds of costs, raise your price by a few bucks a night and set it aside in a separate fund to cover small repairs and replacements.

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Mike2433 

You've apparently been hosting since at least 2018. If this has been your only form of measurable damage, consider yourself extremely lucky.

We get this kind of thing often, even with really great guests. Some will offer to pay, most just don't mention it. And for small things, neither do I. It's more stress to pursue it than simply fixing it. It's just the nature of the hosting beast.