Damage to siding of house

Jody141
Level 6
Auburntown, TN

Damage to siding of house

Sigh. 
I had a family of 4 for 3 nights check out yesterday. They were super nice. However when I went to check after they left I found that when they used the barbecue they pushed it up against the house and opened the top and let it rest on the siding. 
This of course burned about a 12” square area (siding will have to be replaced)  and left melted plastic/siding on top of the barbecue. 
Had they told me that this happened I likely would have just let it go but they left and didn’t say a word. 
Reading others comments it looks like it’s very unlikely I can get damages via Airbnb. 
I would assume if I request money for repairs from the guest they will ignore, but I don’t know for sure of course. 
Ideas? 

18 Replies 18
M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Jody141 

Sorry this happened.  I would not even try to get compensation.  Our cottage is wood clad,  we keep the BBQ away from the building and instruct guests not to move the BBQ.  Write it off as a business expense, is what I would do.

Another thought is that you can leave the damage as a hint to future guests.  Maybe even put up a sign "Guest Oops".  I think future guests will get the message and be extra cautious.  Just my opinion.

@M199  yes we leave the barbecue away from the house and have instructions with the utensils telling guests not to move the barbecue... oh well. 
I do like the idea of the “guest opps” sign, I’ll think about that although maybe fixing and then adding another sign outside on the house where the burn happened reminding people to keep the barbecue away. 
thank you! 

@M199 @Jody141 Yes, a visual would help, because many guests just have the darndest time following instructions. 😩

Hope you intend to leave an honest review mentioning inability/refusal/whatever to follow simple instructions which resulted in a safety issue and damages. Other hosts need to be warned. 

@Colleen253  I will leave an honest review. 
This was their first time using Airbnb. Not a good start. 
I’m starting to think we all need to do something like a preflight announcement- don’t use the hairdryer in the shower, don’t stick your head in the oven, don’t put your tongue in the outlets.... 

@Jody141 Absolutely! If it defies common sense, it should be included in the house manual. It’s mind boggling what people do. I don’t want candles burned in my listing for obvious reasons, so I put some flameless candles in instead, because they add to the ambience. Well every single one has been ‘lit’. I leave them there as an ode to ‘that guest’. There have been several of that ilk. That’s why I really like @M199‘s suggestion re the visual, lol. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jody141  It's so scary that people use things which involve fire while being so unconscious about fire safety. 

That burning plastic smell must have really enhanced their meal- hard to believe they failed to notice it, so that they failed to mention it would take them out of the "super nice" category for me.

Even taking it as a learning experience and not charging them for it, I would mention it to them in a private feedback message after the review period is over. 

It might be a good idea for hosts to devise ways to chain up amenities like bbqs and free-standing fire pits so they can't be moved.

@Sarah977  Good idea, but gosh I would have thought adults would know not to lean a horribly hot barbecue lid in the side of a house. 
I think we are going to get a sign made professionally to put out there to make sure people don’t make this mistake again. 
It could have been much worse, there could have been fire. 

@Jody141  I had a beautiful Mexican clay bbq. I had some friends over for dinner and while us gals were in the kitchen, making salad and the rest of the meal, the guys were taking care of the bbqing. They decided, without asking me (I was literally no more than 20 ft. away) to move the bbq, lifting it by its top rim while it had a fire going in it. The rim instantly broke off, ruining it. 

Even though they were good friends, I was pretty pissed and said that if someone has something that weighs 100 pounds in a certain spot, wouldn't you think there might be a reason for its placement and at least ask before attempting to move it?

@Sarah977  Yikes! 🤦🏻‍♀️

Tommy150
Level 10
Buffalo, NY

I would absolutely try.  I learned something very early on in my career by a wonderful boss who has owned several successful companies...

"You can't be told no if you don't ask"

Words to live by.

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Jody141 I had a couple drop a burning firelog on my slate flagstone porch leaving black chemical stains. After several attempts at cleaning I just bought a rug to cover it. The replacement cost would be far more than their stay cost and it was already a problematic booking so I let it go, figuring it will fade over time and I can keep cleaning it. I did charge them for the rug and they agreed to pay. It was $45. People complement it!

As far as the side of your house, well, that's less easy to cover. Have you gotten a quote for the repair? I not, do so and see what it comes to. If you think there is a chance they will pay it, send a note with a pic through ABB messenger saying that you really enjoyed hosting them, accidents happen, and offer to split the cost. If they respond poorly, open a case in the resolution center for the entire cost. But do expect that any mention of this issue may have an impact on a review, so maybe wait until they leave you one. I would also mention this in your review as it is a safety issue and they seem a bit careless. 

@Laura2592 Good ideas. 
They already left a review and also had written a note raving about their stay. I’m not going to do a review on them yet. 

@Jody141 guests are notoriously careless with things that are not exactly what they have in their own homes. If these people don't have a BBQ and vinyl siding, they probably didn't think it through at all. I hate to say it, but my husband can be like this. He grew up in SoCal and has very little experience with lots of things that are normal on the east coast where we live now. I often find myself intervening when there is potential for danger or problems.  He just has no experience with things like lots of rain, snow, certain plants, leaves falling in autumn, etc.

@Laura2592  I understand your logic. 
I moved here to Tennessee from Southern California only 8 months ago after being in California my whole life and couldn’t understand that ugly plastic stuff on the houses lol!