Damage to siding of house

Jody141
Level 6
Auburntown, TN

Damage to siding of house

Sigh. 
I had a family of 4 for 3 nights check out yesterday. They were super nice. However when I went to check after they left I found that when they used the barbecue they pushed it up against the house and opened the top and let it rest on the siding. 
This of course burned about a 12” square area (siding will have to be replaced)  and left melted plastic/siding on top of the barbecue. 
Had they told me that this happened I likely would have just let it go but they left and didn’t say a word. 
Reading others comments it looks like it’s very unlikely I can get damages via Airbnb. 
I would assume if I request money for repairs from the guest they will ignore, but I don’t know for sure of course. 
Ideas? 

18 Replies 18
Shane-and-Nicole0
Level 2
Santa Monica, CA

get an estimate right away and submit a claim through airbnb asap with photos. . they know what they did and if they they deny it get airbnb involved. do not leave review till this issue is resolved or at the last day of leaving a review. I have prior expeience with damages and also falls claims from guests that lie about damages and missing items. stick to your rights no matter what. 

@Shane-and-Nicole0  Yes I am going to do that. I wanted to get opinions and let it simmer for a day or two so I wasn’t acting out of emotions. Like I said had they told me about it things would have been so much more collaborative 

Jody141
Level 6
Auburntown, TN

@Shane-and-Nicole0 @Colleen253 @Laura2592 @Tommy150 @Sarah977 

Just wanted to give an update. I did get an estimate for the siding to be replaced, someone in the area is going to install at no charge so I’m only asking that they pay for the two pieces of the siding which is $60. 
There was a hole where the heat melted the siding so it does have to be replaced so that water can’t get in and frankly it’s ugly all burned like it is. 
I’ve not heard back from the guests- I send the request yesterday. Have a great weekend everyone! Thanks again for the ideas! 

@Jody141 nice! Thanks for thr update. Hopefully your guests are decent and don't balk at that modest amount.