Data Breach, all reservations canceled, calendar blocked.

Kurt-And-Summyr0
Level 2
Washington, United States

Data Breach, all reservations canceled, calendar blocked.

Here is a link to what has occurred: https://news.yahoo.com/airbnb-glitch-cancels-trips-deactivating-174705552.html
Airbnb Data Breach Nov 11, 2020

Some reps are not aware of this situation.  With airbnb going public soon this is a pretty big deal.  
Called 15 times now to try to get anyone that is aware of the situation and can read off the script.  Each time a "ticket" is created, each time a rep indicates "someone is working on it".  Last rep had the last few days off and wasn't informed of any security breach.  
I have been told that "you received a message from someone who is working on your case".  
This is the message I have received
"Hi Kurt. Thank you for reaching out to us. This is Orande H from Airbnb's community support team and I hope that this message finds you well.
We are aware of the incident on 11 November and the issues you’re facing with your account. Rest assured that a member of our Community Support team will be reaching out soon to provide you assistance on this matter.
Thank you for your patience, and we sincerely apologize for any confusion or inconvenience this may have caused."  
Please tell me how is is helpful or allows to me provide info to my guests?  
Now I plan to call every few minutes regarding each reservation.  Cancelations still say "canceled by admin (off record).  Calendar is still blocked.  
Anyone else stuck in the airbnb twilight zone?  

13 Replies 13
Kurt-And-Summyr0
Level 2

Called 6 times today so far, 5 different reps that said "someone will contact you", the other one wasn't aware of the data breach as mentioned and she had the last few days off....uh yeah, I ended it right there.  Several more messages as the one above that they are aware of the problem.  Guests asking me what they can do to rebook, I cant help them as my calendar is still blocked.  Attempting to work reservation by reservation didn't work, rep said they cant do anything to free up dates so guests can rebook.  Their money has been credited.  
This really feels like the twilight zone, the endless nightmare of being lost in the system.  Crickets!  More tweets, facebook group postings and updates here..... HELP!!!!!!!!!

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands
Kurt-And-Summyr0
Level 2

Our calendar magically opened last night with absolutely no message/call/warning/heads up from airbnb.  Of course this is what I have wanted so we can rebook previously cancelled guests but new bookings started coming in.  I quickly went through and blocked dates to be able to honor previous guests reservations.  I have restored almost all of them one by one.  Thank goodness for the many patient and understanding guests!  A few new ones snuck in which I will have to decline in order to honor previous guests.  Im sure I will get penalized and lose super host status over this (which I no longer give a crap about) and will have to fight with airbnb, essentially starting all over about this entire issue, to get any reimbursement from lost reservations due to THEIR INTERNAL, NATIONALLY PUBLICIZED GLITCH.  Their customer service is by far the worst, most unhelpful, unorganized, clueless company ever.  Each and every time I called I had to start from scratch in explaining the situation, beyond frustrating and upsetting.  For such a large company going IPO soon this is big issue.  

Kurt-And-Summyr0
Level 2

I was told numerous times that the company would be reaching out to the guests.  Not one guest reported any such communication with airbnb.   Again, I'm so thankful for patient and understanding guests.  As if 2020 hasn't already been a complete disaster!  

Michelle53
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Honestly, in a case like this, which affects a lot of hosts and guests, and is a known bug in the system, there should be an emergency line one can call, with support personnel who can immediately address the issue. 

It's like if you call the power company and your power is out, there's a special menu option you can select for immediate assistance, for that particular issue. 

It is totally absurd to me that personnel in support are not given a heads-up about a known system issue. 

@Catherine-Powell 

I think, if your power went out at home, you'd want the power company to get right on it, not issue press releases about how few customers had been impacted.

@Michelle53 So true. Last week my internet went out. I called the company and spoke to an automated machine who told me that the problem had been reported in my area and should be fixed by X time. Moments later I saw the company truck outside my window working on the corner. I started praising the automated voice and totally forgot I wasn't talking to a real person.

@Emilia42   Exactly. Airbnb is a service that both hosts and guests are paying for, and yet support personnel treat system issues as if they can just shrug, go off shift for days, and not bother to deal with it, and somehow people are supposed to find that acceptable. 

When did the power company, or the internet company, or the online shopping service, or any service one pays for find it remotely acceptable to tell a paying customer "sorry, I'm going off shift now, someone will get back to you"  (at some point, days, or even weeks,  later. Or close the case with no response at all). 

Eileen49
Level 2
Lebanon, NH

Please share the phone number you called for Airbnb.  Host here, need to contact them, but keep getting message loop telling me to use new number.  Thank you

Eileen O'Connor

Debra48
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

I have gotten stuck in Airbnb technical problems that screwed up booking requests and moved those reservations off platform until I (and Airbnb) had a chance to resolve the problem. Occasionally, and infrequently, it happens. 

Eli84
Level 2
Jerusalem, Israel

Has anyone encountered a situation where the Airbnb app (android) does not sync(no updates in the calendar and inbox)? 

The only solution is to uninstall and then reinstall the app. Then after a day or two it happens again. 

The website is fine and up to date. 

Of course as @Kurt-And-Summyr0  mentioned the support is horrible and is busy asking me trivial questions such as "have you reinstalled the app?", "maybe just use your PC", and so on. They even claimed that this is impossible and I should prove it by comparing 2 screenshots (app and PC). 

Even if this issue id due to my phone settings somehow (I really doubt it) I would expect Airbnb support to assist anyway.

So, has anyone here ever seen this?

Kurt-And-Summyr0
Level 2

I honestly don't think that the support staff can do anything regarding any manner other than give a canned response and say "a support ticket" has been created each and every time you call.  I still have not heard anything from airbnb regarding all this and none of my guests were ever contacted.
 Im  now going to start calling in regarding each reservation number that I lost and get a "support ticket" created to get reimbursed for my losses.  Probably will get no where and give up.  This is a self admitted incident by airbnb, there are many articles online to support this.  

Kurt-And-Summyr0
Level 2

@Eileen49   try 888 326 5753
ignore their text message to chose a specific issue, it doesn't really field your issue to anyone that can help.  Stay on and press 0 a few times.  Hold time is pretty quick (wow, the only plus in all this).  

Kurt-And-Summyr0
Level 2

A week later we are getting bombarded with support messages and phone calls, alerting me to the internal glitch (really?  no kidding) and that they are "reaching out" to our guests.  We have already contacted all our guests and were able to get them to rebook their reservations.  Airbnb could simply look at the calendar to note that we rebooked everyone ourselves.  Reaching out a week later is adding insult to injury.  
Here is an example of a super helpful, competant, support message: 

Dear Mackenzie, (uh, the guest is Mackenzie, we are Kurt and Summyr)

My name is Jonas from Airbnb Resolutions and I hope you're doing well. Due to a technical issue, Airbnb accounts were inadvertently deactivated. With this, your reservation with Mackenzie for 07/22/2020-07/25/2020 (HMZNM****)  
(Pretty sure the dates of 7/22/2020 have come and gone)
was cancelled, but we are now on top of the situation and was able to apply a fix. (huh?  what fix?)

We wanna (is wanna a word?)
assure you that Our team already restored those affected accounts, and it is up and running as before.

As for the canceled reservation, I can confirm that the reservation was rebooked in which we are happy to know. for your own reference, your new reservation code with Mackenzie for 06/22/2020-06/25/2020
(and yet different dates that have come and gone)
is HMJZTS****. Please let me know if you would like assistance, and I will be right here standing by.

We thank you for your patience, and we apologize for any confusion as well as the trouble that this has caused.

Respectfully,
Jonas

Just an example to show @Airbnb that you have some serious flaws in your support system.  Really a disservice to hosts.  This is the same type of "help" we received in calling 20 times.  
Ok, rant over and moving forward.  Lessons learned: update your passwords frequently, print out reservations and calendars,  obtain a business license to cover damages and liability issues, dont count on airbnb to help or sort through any issues.