Day 13: Interview with Daniel, member of the Hosts Advisory Board

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Day 13: Interview with Daniel, member of the Hosts Advisory Board

Quincy_0-1670946158067.png

Hi everyone, 

As 2022 draws to a close, and with the Month of Celebration in full swing, we really want this month to be all about spreading some joy in the Community Center, making connections and learning about one another no matter where we are in the world. With that in mind, we’d love you to join us for one last Spotlight this year!

Screenshot 2022-12-13 at 15.52.34.pngSay hello to @Daniel1651 who, in addition to telling us how he became a Host on Airbnb, gives us a broader view of what it means to him and how the Airbnb Host Advisory Board works. 

Thank you, Daniel, for giving us some of your time to learn more about you and the work of the Host Advisory Board!

How did you find out about Airbnb, and what motivated you to start hosting guests?

In 2012, in the middle of the economic crisis and without a job, my husband showed me a newspaper article about Airbnb. Something like "hosting strangers in your home"?

I must honestly say that I rejected the idea immediately: I wasn't in the mood for hosting strangers over the internet! 

Fortunately (and out of necessity, of course), my reluctance was short-lived. Eduardo created my profile and a few days later we received Ivano and Marlene, a lovely couple that perfectly reflected what would become my next Airbnb hosting experiences.

Thus began my adventure as a host that has brought me more than a thousand positive ratings on the platform and hundreds of anecdotes and beautiful experiences.

You are undoubtedly a successful host, what aspect of hosting do you think everyone should be aware of when starting out and what do you think needs to be done consistently?

To be a host is to open the doors of your home to people you don't know and to whom you are committed to give the best of yourself and the spaces you offer.

Undoubtedly, the vocation of service and the spirit of hospitality is what every passionate host must possess to be successful.

I have been a Superhost for 8 consecutive years, and that means a lot of effort and work. It means being responsible for important and happy moments in our guests' lives, and it is really worth the effort to create a positive and unforgettable experience. 

I believe in putting ourselves in their shoes and offering an experience that transcends our spaces: I am talking about hospitality, but also about the continuous improvement of our properties through a constant investment that reflects what we would like to find when we are the ones who travel.

Quincy_2-1670946378871.jpeg

When Airbnb asked you to be part of the Host Advisory Board, what motivated you to accept? 

As a host who has been with Airbnb for ten years, I always thought that the great challenge of the company was to grow while maintaining its origins, values and philosophy. 

Therefore, when I had the opportunity to join the Host Advisory Board, I didn't hesitate for a second just as I did when I started collaborating as an Ambassador, helping other members to take their first steps on the platform.

In short, the possibility of sharing my experience in the world of hosting and participating in the growth of the community is a great responsibility that I assume with pride and commitment.  I am convinced that a better world is possible if we are able to respect each other and grow in our differences.

Explain to us what the task of the members of the Host Advisory Board consists of

The Host Advisory Board is made up of 24 members of different nationalities and with more than 129 years of accumulated experience in the world of hospitality. Our job is to provide advice and recommendations to Airbnb on key opportunities and issues that require our unique perspectives. 

Host Advisory Board Meetings are planned on a regular basis, and we work by, providing opinions suggestions when necessary that best reflect the needs of our community

In doing so, we take into account not only our wide range of experiences from different cultural backgrounds, but also the feelings of the host community as expressed through the various communication channels such as this Community Center, the Local Host Clubs or the Workshops held on specific topics.

What have you been focusing on in recent months?

The Advisory Board's agenda comprises different areas in which we are constantly active. Topics such as sustainability or the accessibility of our homes are at the heart of the suggestions and recommendations we are often involved in.

Another important chapter is the commitment to create ever safer spaces and an example of this is the "Guide on how to be (even) more inclusive hosts", which was recently launched in the Resource Center with the collaboration of the Board members. 

Our work also includes contributing to Airbnb.org, a non-profit organisation that focuses on helping people share their spaces in difficult times, in particular with the current humanitarian crisis in Ukraine. I must stress that the response from the hosts has been incredible and is one of the many signs of solidarity and empathy that characterises this community.

In terms of launches and new products, we constantly contribute suggestions and recommendations that express the community's feelings and allow us to propose improvements in their current and future implementation.

You have a big responsibility as a member of the Host Advisory Board, how do you see the Airbnb Host community and how do you think you can help them from your position?

The Airbnb Host community is one of the strongest parts of Airbnb, and the feedback they report on a daily basis is invaluable to the company. Only Hosts can make Airbnb continue to be what it is, and that's why it's so important that we all continue to contribute to its growth. Not only in the vocation of service to our guests, but also in the critical construction of our future as hosts.

From my position, I hope and wish to help achieve the goals of a wider, more diverse and respectful community, where hosts and guests recognise the value of the encounter with the other, thus reclaiming Airbnb's roots and making us all feel at home wherever we go.

Likewise, right now and as an example, I am focused on studying and investing in facilities and infrastructure to reduce the environmental impact of tourist accommodation activity. I try to transfer that learning and share it with other members of the community whenever it arises.

Finally, to be clear, our role as members of the Host Advisory Board is to give clear, honest and constructive opinions, a task I am very proud of and committed to.

And finally, how has your life changed since you started hosting?

I always say that I had a life before Airbnb (indeed it was, as a tax lawyer) and that my work as a host even changed the way I see the world.

We are used to receiving negative news about human behaviour, and we are not always aware that we are surrounded by wonderful people who are worth getting to know. That is the biggest lesson my guests have taught me.

I learned that as long as you give trust, you also receive it. Everything you give comes back in the form of endearing anecdotes and friendships that grow day by day. 

My guests can arrive as complete strangers and leave as true friends. The chats, the coffees (not to mention the occasional beer) and the little dinners in the typical "guachinches" of my island always help to generate some very special encounters and so, I have been to Ana and Marnix's wedding in Germany, I have dined at Ronny and Katrin's in Ireland, I have spent holidays at Carlo and Maria's in Italy, just to mention a few of so many unforgettable anecdotes....

I could go on, naming hundreds of wonderful experiences with my guest friends around the world!

--------------------------------------------

And that was it, we hope you found it enjoyable and interesting to read. Thank you, @Daniel1651, for giving us some of your time to find out more about you and the work of the Hosts Advisory Board!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

14 Replies 14
Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Daniel1651 thank you for sharing your the role that you have taken on as an Airbnb Host Advisory board.

How you started Airbnbing and your role with being on the board and what it entails. 

I like your words that only hosts make Airbnb and as you share your home, you give part of your home and life to others. 

What I don't really understand is that Airbnb allows hotels and motels  be rated and advertised on the same plateform as the original concept of Airbnbing?. I know there is progress but this is from one pole to another. 

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hello @Laurelle3 ,

Thank you for sharing your concerns with us! However, I would like to add that hotels are only ever shown if there are no Airbnb's available to the specification a guest is searching for. Hotels should never been shown in search results with AirBnB's - and if you ever spot it, please reach out to Customer Support! Unless you specifically use the Hotel Holidays search like this one :  https://www.airbnb.co.uk/d/Hotels-HH/,it is less likely that hotel searches will go along with AirBnBs.

We're happy to announce the Month of Celebration!

Can’t find what you’re searching for? start a conversation

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Daniel1651
Host Advisory Board Member
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain

That’s right, @Laurelle3 ! 

Those of us who welcome strangers into our home share a similar vision of the world and that enriches us a lot ❤️
I am glad to know that these words have reached Australia 🙂

Regarding your question, I have no answer for it, but I do tell you that the HAB is made up of flesh and blood hosts who share the values of hospitality every time there is the opportunity to do so.

By the way, Christmas is coming up and I’m looking forward to a new post from you with pictures of the holidays in Australia, just like you did last year! 🎄

I was born and lived in Argentina almost all my life: I know very well what it is to wear a Santa Claus suit with shorts!

A big hug from Tenerife, Canary Islands, and regards for the all host community there!

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Congrats to @Daniel1651 and @Quincy  for this interview!
Thank you Daniel for explaining how the Hosts Advisory Board works and for the great job you have done as a member of this board. 👏👏👏👏👏👏

Daniel1651

Hi @J-Renato0 ,

Thanks for your words, I am delighted to hear you appreciate the job that  HAB is doing!

I am traveling to Brazil soon so, who knows...maybe I have the chance to meet you personally 🙂

Rio de Janeiro is always a great place to discover (and your guides looks really good to explore it) 😊

A big hug from here and Happy Christmas!

@Daniel1651 

When you are in Rio contact me! It would be a pleasure to meet you personally. 🙂

Happy Christmas !  🙂

Very good and interesting interview. It's really a pleasure to be part of this wonderful community and congratulations Chamillard @Daniel1651  because you truly inspired me 8 years ago when I decided to become a host and you have always have been a role model for me

Now, I can say that apart of being super hosts we are also good friends and you deserve all this successes. Continue with the same energy and determination to do things and contribution so that our community continue growing and differentiate itself. 

Without any doubt is a very dynamic job with full of experiences that makes you a better person.

Diana Gazzaneo 

Daniel1651

Oh, lovely @Diana189 

What a nice surprise to see you here! ❤️

Thank you very much for your beautiful words and your heartfelt friendship 🙂

Definitely, we need to find the right time to have a coffee and catch up!

Happy Celebration month and Merry Christmas 🎄

David-Jesus0
Level 2
Alcala de Henares, Spain

My name is David, and I am an Airbnb host.I had an empty house and I didn't know what to do with it. I had heard about the vacation rental but did not know how it works. Total, that my wife and I decided and we got down to work. We knew that we had to do it right, for which we made an important investment to have a modern and beautiful house that would be liked by any future guest. When we finished the house, we still had a lot of doubts about the operation of a house for tourist use, and that's how we met Daniel, an Airbnb ambassador.Daniel introduced us to the operation of Airbnb and transmitted us the philosophy of Airbnb and a good host, and also resolved all our doubts before starting this activity.Quickly, in our first evaluation, we became super hosts and currently we continue with the maximum evaluations (this is when I understood that staying is the difficult part)The experience, apart from earning money, is super rewarding. Especially when you see guest reviews. My main concern is that guests feel as comfortable as possible.I think that the most important thing, apart from cleaning the house, communication with the guest... is truthfulness. There is no worse feeling than feeling cheated. When the guest reserves a house, he creates some expectations and these have to be true when they arrive at the house.I think host advice is very important to us. It is the means that the hosts have to continue improving.The most important potential of Airbnb, apart from the guests, are the hosts, without the hosts there would be no guests.Having a council to be able to transmit suggestions, possible improvements... is very important for the hosts and thus continue modernizing and accommodating this activity to the new times.Lately I have seen some news for the hosts, expansion of the AirCover, verification of identity of guests, analysis of reservations... very good news for the hosts and I think that the advisory board has been very much to blame for the implementation of these news, thanks .Just as I, as a super host, must continue to invest in my home and maintain the vocation of service towards the guests to continue improving, Airbnb must listen to the hosts with the same goal of improving and that is why I think about the importance of the host council.
Daniel1651

@David-Jesus0 ,

I don't have the pleasure of meeting you in person but I know that you are that kind of passionate host who is committed to always providing an unforgettable experience to your guests. Thanks for your kind words about the Host Advisory Board and the role of the community here.

It has been my pleasure to have you as a new host and to have been able to help you in the Ambassador program,  in your first steps. I'm so glad you're already a Superhost and I wish you all the best 👏👏

A big hug from Tenerife!

Romén0
Level 2

I feel goog motivation reading this article. 

Daniel, Superhost for 8 consecutive years?? wuauuuu. It's Amazing. How could you do it?  You are the boss in Tenerife. Brilliant.

Thanks for your advise and lots of words that you wrote. All of us have lots of doubt, but when you read this, you'll get another atmosfeer. Keep going and enjoy your job, it's the most important.

Daniel1651

@Romén0 I'm glad you found the interview motivating!

Thank you very much for your words. Indeed, enjoying what we do is very important and that is part of the answer to your question of how to achieve as many consecutive years as a Superhost.

Passion for what you do, added to a great effort and commitment to the community, and as I always say, thanks also to the super guests I had the pleasure of meeting and hosting in all these years 😍

A big hug,  Romén and happy new year!

Carlo5328
Level 1
El Sauzal, Spain

Hi Daniel, what a pleasure to read this article.

It brought back so many fond memories! For those who might read this comment, I am Carlo, the one mentioned at the end of the interview together with my wife Maria. Nine years ago, we decided to leave Italy and move to Tenerife. We had planned to give the island a try for about six months, before taking any decision as to whether go back to Italy or stay.

At that time, I confess that I had no idea what Airbnb was. It was Maria (isn't this always the case, Daniel?) that, after searching through the web for some temporary accommodation in the north of the island, bumped into Daniel's page on Airbnb. I will always remember her words: "I like this guy, I am sure he will helps us a lot!" Never truer words were spoken!

We arrived very late at night, our then small kids half asleep in our rented car. We were greeted by Daniel, who took as to the apartment and showed us around. The following afternoon, the four of us met with Daniel and Eduardo in "Tea and Chocolate", a lovely tea bar in Tacoronte. Pictures were taken and one of them, with all us together, is now framed in our house. A wonderful friendship started. Indeed, both Daniel and Eduardo have been helping us so much, over the years, exactly as Maria had predicted. We invited them to spend a week with us in Sardinia the following summer. Our kids (now 22 and 17) have always referred to them as "uncles", we are this close! And, needless to say, we never went back. Our roots are firmly planted in this wonderful north coast, thanks in no small parts to Daniel and Edu.

Thank you, from the bottom or our hearts!

@Carlo5328 thank you for giving us a follow up with  your positive and happy connection with @Daniel1651  and Eduardo and your family.