Day 19: A creative touch under the Christmas tree...

Pascale144
Level 10
Bordeaux, France

Day 19: A creative touch under the Christmas tree...

Pascale144_0-1671460441710.png

It's the home stretch. The countdown has begun and with it comes the stress of the festive season.  As 24 December approaches, many of us are racing against the clock. 

But is this really the "Christmas spirit"? Can we escape this fate? 

Why not take the opportunity to get back to tradition and offer something different? A way back to the roots, so to speak. How do you go about it? 

My first instinct is to open my drawers and make do with what I have on hand for decorating. These old and damaged books, decorated with a few ornaments picked up during walks, will make quite fine decorations. 

A few old papers and ribbons, accumulated over the years, will bring a little "je ne sais quoi" that will add a touch of originality to the gift wrappings.  

Then there are the gifts themselves...

Needless to say, I prefer handmade presents. By refusing to get the item that's been produced in 1,000,000 copies and opting for a unique gift that highlights your care and qualities, you can save yourself hours of wandering around on the internet or in shops. By choosing to offer a "handmade" scarf, a "homemade" jam or any other creation that you have the secret of, it is attention, time... emotion that will come out of the package. You are reminding someone that even when they are not there, they still matter to you. The proof? The time you spent creating, you thought of them. In return, every time they wear your scarf, they will think of you. Every time they taste a jam that may not be your own, you will be there somewhere in the corner of their mind. In addition, there are two advantages to the "handmade presents"; it is devoid of any programmed obsolescence and it avoids the risk of duplication. You can rest easy. As for its carbon footprint, if you avoid plastics and favour recyclable materials, it is almost zero.

That's why I've always preferred "handmade" gifts! With them, there is no stress, no mass production, no programmed obsolescence, no duplication... Moreover, they are not limited to their function, their material envelope and even less to their cost... They convey so much more to those who receive them. As for stress? Creativity has simply replaced it with "a moment of relaxation and time for yourself". 

What about you? Has creativity made its way under your tree? 

Let us know what unique presents you have made or that a creative Santa has put under your tree this year ...

Happy Holidays to all of you!

Pascale
5 Replies 5
Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

This is so exciting @Pascale144! Totally Agree, the joy of receiving a handmade gift hits differently!🌻

We're happy to announce the Month of Celebration!

Can’t find what you’re searching for? start a conversation

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Pascale144 

I do agree with you! 

I have not had time to make any presents this year, although in past years I have given some handmade gifts such as jars of chutney, framed hand pressed flowers etc. and I also made my own wreath for the door one year. I will definitely try to do more next year. It just takes a bit more planning and forward thinking.

However, I do always try to recycle some stuff for wrapping presents and have managed to accumulate a lot of pretty ribbons etc. over the year. Last year and this year, I also used vintage silk baubles to decorate the presents. That way, the recipients can hang them on their own trees and so their lifecycle continues...

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Pascale144 thank you for sharing your creative touch for Christmas.

I have learnt a new word today "je ne sais quoi" of digging out the old folded Christmas papers and bags that I intended to recycle with the Christmas ribbons to dress up the presents. This should give them unique and  attractive for the special person I have in mind. and redress my collection.

I am like you in that, I like to give a little handmade gifts for small gifts such as; lemon butter, marmalades, tomatoe relish and this year I have made health- nut slices. 

This year I have been sewing embroidered diary covers for my friends and potholders

Laurelle3_0-1671771855395.png   Laurelle3_1-1671771882962.png   Laurelle3_2-1671771916632.png  Laurelle3_3-1671771932725.png

Laurelle3_4-1671771950083.png

The trouble is that I have is, not to leave it to the last minute. Like the diary covers I was making them 2 nights before I intended to give to my friends. 

I hope other hosts that read this post a photo of their creations.

Merry Christmas to you and your family

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Wow @Laurelle3 , these are really pretty😍. Thanks for sharing this!

We're happy to announce the Month of Celebration!

Can’t find what you’re searching for? start a conversation

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I spent all of yesterday evening putting together a photo album for my brother. It's an album from our younger days (lots of parties!). I am not sure if he has even seen these before and, even if he had, it would have been about 20 years ago. So, it's not crafting exactly (I bought, rather than made, the album itself), but it feels like a handmade gift to me and I do hope he enjoys it.