Day 20: Building a warm and supportive village

Marlene76
Level 7
Montana, United States

Day 20: Building a warm and supportive village

A little over a year ago, while walking with a friend on a trail with new snow, my hiking boot unexpectedly slipped. I body-slammed the ground. 

Twenty-four hours later x-rays revealed a broken left shoulder and wrist. My wrist was immediately immobilized and my arm was secured in a sling. Months of healing followed, filled with discouraging pain and my stubborn Aries determination.

While I am fiercely independent, I had to learn to let it go. Astounding things took place because I asked for help. One friend volunteered to go grocery shopping for me, and then spent the day in my kitchen doing food prep so I could manage cooking for myself. Girlfriends came over to help me dress until I could work out how to do it on my own. When I was unable to drive, I was given rides to places outdoors where I could walk safely, to doctor and physical therapy visits, and to gatherings so I wouldn’t feel isolated and alone. 

Marlene76_1-1671547002815.jpeg

Montana’s mostly overcast winters are a mix of snow, rain, sun, and freezing temperatures. Snow and treacherous ice built up on my long driveway. I asked neighbours if they would help clear the very top of the drive of snow and ice, and a friend lugged up a heavy bag of ice melt to help with its maintenance.

I am so grateful for my small village of friends who, when I needed them most, said “yes.” I am now nearly 100% healed, and my strength is constantly improving.

This year Hanukkah overlaps with the winter solstice and Christmas. It feels like a trifecta of the return of light. I see a metaphor in it: celebrate beginning anew, enter a new chapter, and bring all the people I love along as I go.

My wish for you is to not need an unexpected turn of events to recognize the warm and supportive village you’ve built. Find your own personal metaphor for the return of light and celebrate it brightly.

Marlene

Missoula, Montana

11 Replies 11
Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

@Marlene76 What an amazing and inspiring story. It can be very difficult to ask for help and even more so when you're used to doing everything alone, but there will always be people willing to help you out.

I hope you'll get back to 100% within no time and thank you so much for sharing your story! 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Marlene76
Level 7
Montana, United States

Aren’t you sweet! Thank you so much for the kind words. I am always edging to get back to 100%, and my friends have been right alongside me to get me there. Wishing you a warm and loving holiday season.

Gloria870
Level 2
Clinton, MD

@Marlene76 Awesome Marlene how your community came together to help you while you are mending.  My take away from your story is to come together and appreciate community.  I have been thinking about having a block party in my community for years now...always too busy.  Your story has inspired me to start planning and go ahead and have the block party (cookout)  in April. 

I pray you heal and be stronger than before. 

Thank you so much! How uplifting it is to hear you will have that block party--once you set it in motion and have the help of your neighbors, it will be easier than you imagined. Yay!

@Gloria870 the mention of a block party. When we moved into our street we were invited to join our Chistmas street party which was in the park 600 meters away by the beach (in the past it had been held in different ones homes but the numbers had been growing). It was greet and meet the neighbours and for us and we felt welcomed into their community. 

We have joined now for 3 years and we take a plate of food to share, a chair, drinks and lots of cheer, chatter and friendship. It is always held on the first weekend in December in the afternoon. Rembering here it is the beginning of summer and the temperature can range from 17 to 40 celcius degree, with or without rain and wind but we still all join in.

Awesome

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Marlene76 thank you for sharing your story of your community helping out when you needed a little bit of extra help.

It must have been "if you give a little bit of help you will receive". You must have planted a few seeds over the years to receive help from your friends, neighbours and those that you have reached out to in your community.

May the New Year continue to shine light as you said and Merry Christmas to you and your community. 

Thank you so much! You are so right about planting seeds, and it wasn't intentional--it happened as our friendships deepened. I am so grateful.

Wishing you a magical Christmas and a bright new year.

Marlene

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Marlene76  thank you for these timely words, they hit home for me. 

Thank you! I’m happy to hear it resonates with you. Have a wonderful holiday season.

Marlene

Cheri354
Level 10
Helena-West Helena, AR

What a wonderful story !  Hard to relinquish control of things but so fantastic that your village of friends keep helping out. Glad you're on the road to recovery, hope you continue to improve !

Next you'll be looking for little ways to help out 🙂