Declining Enquiries/Reservations

Helen31
Level 2
Royston, United Kingdom

Declining Enquiries/Reservations

Hi All

I do not have Instant Booking.

I frequently have to decline enquiries for a whole host of perfectly valid reasons, including guests who do not read my listing properly and for whom the property is not suitable (e.g I just had a family want to stay for 2 nights when the listing clearly states it is for 1-6 month lets.) That is just one of many, many examples.

If I decline or let the enquiry expire I am penalised by ABB – even though I ALWAYS message the people to explain why I cannot accommodate them.

I just got a message from ABB that says “If another request expires, up to one week of the requested dates will remain blocked on your calender.” This is crazy!! I have politely declined with an explanation the guest is happy with and I am still going to be penalised and punished – even when it’s not my fault!

Does anyone know how I can get round this situation?

Many thanks

Helen

11 Replies 11
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Helen31 You only need to respond to booking inquiries - Never decline these. The only time you need to accept or decline is if it is a booking request.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Helen31 if you do not want short stays then make your minimum stay 30 days. Your listing does not state that it is only for 1-6 month lets.

Hi Mike and Jane

I don't know what you are looking at but my listing title is

"4 Bedroom Cottage for 1-6 MONTH LET nr Cambridge." If that isn't clear I don't know what is!

@Helen31 Your description says 'Perfect for 1-6 month lets for 6 pers max'. It does not say that it is not available for shorter stays and your length of stay settings bear this out I am afraid.

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Helen31 You need to understand the difference between INQUIRIES and REQUESTS. The former is simply someone asking a question (usually because they want something that is outside the parameters of what you advertise). All you need to do is answer them. Just ignore ‘preapprove’ or decline’.

The latter means someone is committed to booking. You do need to ‘Accept’ or ‘Decline’. If the person has Requested to stay, but is asking for something you don’t provide, or the request is inappropriate in some other way, then ask them to WITHDRAW it, so you don’t have to decline. If they don’t, then you have to decline it. 

With Inquiries, you must answer within 24 hours, and with Requests, you must take action also within 24 hours. Never let either expire without some action. 

All of this, and more, is explained in the Airbnb Help pages. I suggest you spend some time there reading hosting articles.

Sally677
Level 2
California, United States

@Helen31 The other issue is that many potential guests do not know the difference. So I will get requests that are actually inquiries - and then sometimes I have to decline because they have asked something obvious like "can I bring a pet", even tho our site says "no pet" policy - and then I have to say sorry, and decline their request, which was actually an inquiry - but they didn't go through the right channels.... and then I am "penalized" through Airbnb in terms of number of "declines". Good to know we can ask them to "withdraw it" - I have asked that and the usual response is, "Uh how do I do that?" .....Heavy sigh

Helen31
Level 2
Royston, United Kingdom

Hi Colleen

I have been hosting since 2013 so am actually a very experienced host, but I have not come across this particular issue before - i.e. ABB threatening to block out dates if a request expires. 

Your second para answers my question so thank you for this. It does rather assume the guest will make the time and effort to withdraw - unless they are ABB hosts themselves, they won't necessarily understand why they have to do that and how important it is to hosts.

It leaves us vulnerable to penalty because it is not within our control.

@Helen31 If you have been hosting since 2013 I am amazed that you haven't set your length of stay settings correctly. Once you do this you will not get booking requests for short stays so you will not have to decline them.

Hi again Mike and Jane

I must thank you!

My settings were always set for minimum of 30 days but I could only host my current guests for 29 days, so agreed to temporarily remove the 30 day restriction...and promptly forgot to put it back!

So for the past 3yrs it has been set correctly - but it still doesn't stop people requesting shorter stays.

@Helen31 "..it still doesn't stop people requesting shorter stays." No one can request to book a shorter stay if your minimum night setting is correct, but they can send you an inquiry asking for one. All you need to do is reply within 24 hours to an inquiry, saying 'Sorry, no." If you are getting request to book for shorter stays, check your mimimum stay settings.

@Helen31  The trick to getting guests to do something is to make it sound like it is to their advantage to do so, as they don't care about the host's end of things. So if a request is inappropriate to what you offer or there are red flags that tell you to not accept, say something like "Hi XX. Thank you for your request. As you can see  from my listing info, I don't accept bookings of less than one month, sorry. You should withdraw this request asap, so you will be free to find a place that suits your needs quickly."

Same for other aspects of hosting.

"Hi XX, I haven't received a reply to my request for your approximate arrival time. I'd hate for you to be left standing outside unable to get in, so please let me know so I can be there on time."