Declining Too Many Booking Inquiries?

Declining Too Many Booking Inquiries?

Hello,

My wife and I have been hosting on AirBnb for almost a year now, so we are still learning a lot. We take great pride in our beach condo rental and want the same from our guests. We recently received a message from AirBnb that our listing would be delisted if we keep declining requests, mostly because they do not meet the house rules and have not read through the description.

Our response rate is 100%, but I was not aware we could be delisted with too many declined requests ( 3 in a row so far and 1 more pending, mostly new accounts with 0 reviews). I understand some people need a chance, but I'd not rather not rent my place out unless I am comfortable with the booking.

Is there some way we could decline a inquiry we are not comfortable with that do not meet the rules or we are uncomfortable with, without being penalized? 

We have great stats other than that, but are trying to figure out how to balance everything out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Randall and Heather

2 Replies 2
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Randall-And-Heather0  You have used the terms Inquiry and Request interchangeably. Do you understand the difference between them? 

You never have to either pre-approve nor decline an Inquiry. All you have to do is message back the inquirer within 24 hours. That counts as responding. So never waste declines on inquiries.

Requests are different. You must either accept or decline within 24 hours. If the guest's messaging or anything else throws up red flags for you, or they are asking for things you don't provide or allow, try to explain to them why you can't accept the booking and encourage them to withdraw the request so they'll be able to look for another listing that suits their needs. If they withdraw the request within 24 hours, you won't need to decline it.

Many hosts get requests from newbie guests who don't "get it"- haven't bothered to read through the listing info, house rules, etc. You shouldn't necessarily dismiss these as automatic declines. Sometimes you have to work through things with newbies, explaining how it's important for them to read through everything, etc. Many will be open to learning- they just didn't realize how to book an Airbnb beyond clicking on "Book". If they are still clueless, or rude, that's when you want to use the decline button.

Jerry480
Level 1
London, Canada

how can I set "auto decline"?