Devastation and abandonment

Dorothy60
Level 2
Asheville, NC

Devastation and abandonment

I’m a single mama over here, supporting myself, my little boy, and my father on the income I make through Airbnb. After the message went out from Airbnb regarding full refunds my calendar got wiped out. For the next 4 weeks I have zero income except for two weekends which still could get canceled. If Airbnb stretches out this full return policy I don’t know what is going to happen. Will I lose my house over this? Will I be able to feed my family? As a country we are going through scary times. As individuals, why couldn’t we have shared this responsibility? I understand guests not wanting to lose a couple hundred dollars but as hosts we are losing thousands. I feel abandoned by Airbnb, left out in the cold to try to survive this alone.

3 Replies 3
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

hello @Dorothy60 

I can see you have three properties so have a portfolio of properties you earn income from. If you can't do STR I would suggest you look at LTR for properties you are not living in.

In terms of your personal situation, you can apply for welfare benefits to help cover your essential costs. And child support from your child's father.

Can your father also apply for benefits to cover his costs.

It is actually just two properties but can be listed together to make a third. Thank you for the advice but unfortunately my apartments don’t qualify as long term rentals.

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Ah okay sorry I didn't realise long term lets are not legal in your area @Dorothy60  we don't have those sort of restrictions in the UK.