Disappointing Airbnb

An65
Level 1
Boston, MA

Disappointing Airbnb

Hello, I wanted to share a very disappointing experience at a house my friends and I stayed recently during California trip. As a collective group we decided on a listing under a “superhost”, “high rates reviews” and pictures that were shown under the listing. Once we arrive to that Airbnb, it was not we expected at all. Most of the knobs on the showers were broken from the previous renters. There was old mattresses stacked in the hallway blocking the front entrance of the house which is a fire hazard when there is only the back door for an exit. Majority of the mattresses were on the floor and the bottom mattresses was dirty. Also there was only one set of keys which was not going to work since we had 3 families with separate agendas for the stay. So when we asked the host he gave a long explanation of why one set of keys was enough. And since the other two keys weren’t return, the host did not change the locks to the house or the gate. Also the comuncation between the host and my friend who booked the place was unprofessional on the host part. The host didn’t want to deal with the key situation and contacted my friend the last night we we were there just to see when what time we were checking out so he can get the cleaners in. Which was also another issue because the day we checked in was suppose to b around 3pm but he has the cleaners still cleaning the house till 6pm when in the Airbnb listing the checkout is around 11am. My friend did write a review but nothing has been posted. Just in the future for this host. There has to be an updated pictures of the listing and better communication. We don’t understand how the reviews are so high when our experience fell very short of what we expected. We couldn’t leave to fine a another place in such a short notice and budget especially for a group of 15. Hopefully this can be looked at for future stays for other people so they don’t have to experience what we experienced.

4 Replies 4
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

Your review should be posted either when the host reviews your party or after 14 days whichever is the sooner.

If the host really had a nightmare set of guests just before you this might partially explain the issues but it sounds like the poor communication is a more fundamental issue

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Why didn't your friend do what Airbnb suggests on their booking confirmation and contact them within 24 hours of arrival when the accommodation is not as described. One set of keys for 10 people is ridiculous. @An65 

If the host wasn't willing or able to fix issues that meant the listing wasn't as described, you could have had Airbnb cancel and help you find somewhere else.

I am really surprised anyone would have stayed when you were given dirty mattresses on the floor rather than what presumably were beds that were shown when you booked.

@An65 I'm sorry you had a disappointing experience, but I don't quite understand why you've written about it in the Help forum. Is there something you'd like the community to help you with, or did you just feel like venting? 

Brittany281
Level 1
Lowell, MA

So we did contact the host when we got there and contacted the support. I’m new to this since this is my first bad experience with a Airbnb we stayed at. We felt it would just b too difficult to find a place to house 10 plus guest with children. Also we were only there for 4 days and we all didn’t arrive at the same time. So some of our friends only had 3 days. The support team is now taken care of the situation.