Does anyone have any nice guests in?!

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Does anyone have any nice guests in?!

GettyImages-527613041.jpg

Having had a couple of “dud”’bookings/guests over the past few weeks I’m happy to report lots of wonderful charming guests in my listings at the moment:

-a fabulous Russian student here for a summer course at a University in central London, she loves the apartment as it’s her first time living outside of home!

-4 very charming French ladies here to explore London for a few days, keen to make the most of every single moment. 

-A great German guy, who’s in for a long stay. The washing machine broke down and had to be repalaced and he’s taken the whole thing in his stride and with very good humour.

-The coolest guest from Beijing, staying in my private room listing! She’s up and out early every morning after breakfast making the best of every moment even though the weather has been terrible here in London!

Anyone else got any good guests?

Paul 🙂 

136 Replies 136
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Melanie568  When we open up our homes to rent, we'll see all kinds of personality types, and unfortunately some of those might be the kind of people we would never choose to have any contact with if we knew what they were like.

Remind yourself that people like this are basically miserable- they find fault with others because of who they are, not because of you. You say the husband was friendly- her behavior is likely frustrating or embarrassing to him as well, he's just stuck with it.

You've had lovely guests who you've enjoyed hosting, which in my experience, are the majority of guests.

Try not to let people like this get you down- that means they win. That they can rate you down and affect your listing is infuriating, but don't give them the power to make you stop hosting.

After almost 5 years being hosts, we had our first unpleasant guest last week. So I think we’ve been pretty fortunate to have families, couples, individuals that are respectful and neat.

Scott701
Level 1
Honolulu, HI

What constitutes a bad guest for folks?  We've just been doing this since March as well, and we've had great guests with a couple of annoyances: one family with a little boy who wouldn't go to sleep (our own bedroom is under the space we rent), beach sand on the floors, and soiled sheets we couldn't clean and reuse.  But the guests themselves have been great.

Jody79
Level 10
Chicago, IL

After getting through our initial learning curve with the guests that threw unauthorized parties, the rest of our guests have been great, hoping our luck remains! We had some recent guests from Costa Rica that left us some gifts from their country. First host gifts we’ve received. We’ve found our best guests to be families.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Who's there??Who's there??Nice massage...Nice massage...Hello, Welcome To Central To All Home & Location...Hello, Welcome To Central To All Home & Location...

@Paul1255 @Jody79 @Scott701 @Keith-and-Cheryl0 

I had these two critters stay during the week, they were very well behaved & as you can see got along very well together after they were introduced.... now tonight I have a new user to ABB whose brother in Auckland has booked him to stay.

I've meet the Guest and encourage others to not be so judgemental when 3rd parties book on behalf of someone else as one never knows what the circumstances are as to why unless it's explained.

Hopefully my Guest will take the courage to set up his own account & become a regular ABB Host/ Guest.

All the best

Heather133
Level 10
Stowe, VT

@Ana1136 I'm happy to report my present guests are for the most part delightful. Thanks for the reminder to focus on the many more good ones than challenging ones. The good ones tend to be classic airbnbers. The challenging ones tend to be those who mistake Airbnb for a hotel.

Here are some recent highlights: I had two guests at The Barn at Bourne House last week from the Colavita Wellness Team. They were here for a group road cycling event. They left us wonderful olive oil, pasta and sauce as a thank you!

A family recently gathered here at my Tequila Sunset property after their son's wedding. It was a way for everyone who traveled from afar to spend a few more days with each other. Their happiness and appreciation spilled over into my day for sure!

A couple with small children broke the television set in the Home Run condo. They immediately purchased an even better one and installed it. Best guest damage experience I've ever had!

I could go on. The majority are good. Again, thanks for the reminder to focus on that!

" The challenging ones tend to be those who mistake Airbnb for a hotel."  i agree.  we had someone just check out and left half a cheesesteak, 7 half empty take out cups of coffees and sodas, empty contact cases strewn about, and the trash bin overflowing.  we live in a house with a full size trash bin! just bring your trash downstairs!! is that so much to ask 😞

Patricia55
Level 10
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Can I have another go, can I?! (Love this thread :)) Just said goodbye to a fab Italian couple, after their week's stay. The guy had stayed before, with his son who spoke great English. This time, it was husband and wife and neither of them spoke much English... if I'd known, I would've brushed up on my Italian. However, we managed - with a combination of broken English, broken Italian, Google Translate and lots of laughs. Tbh, the woman, particularly, was so friendly and warm, that communication was easy, even if we didn't always understand what the other was saying, lol. Weird, isn't it? With some people with whom you share a language, there may be no connection; with others, even if there's a language barrier, you CAN make a connection.

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Patricia55  fabulous!! So good to hear about these guests :)))

I had a chinese guest last year and she didn't even know how to say hello in English, but like you, with google translate and some funny situations we made it work!

Amy1049
Level 2
Massachusetts, United States

Noooo!  I have had an awful June - first a couple scrubbing behind the toilet within 5 minutes of arriving.  The guy shrugged that “she can be like that” so I asked them to leave and gave a full refund not knowing they could still review (it was clean!!!).  Next week - same crap except this time they just could not stop criticizing - the place has 5 stars aside from those two but it is new and that couple left me 1 star across the board! Dropped my average to the point airbnb is sending me notes about my jeopardy of losing superheat status (I have two cottages).  I am wicked pissed and super salty about these guests.

Amy1049
Level 2

I am thrilled to say 107 guests later, those first two were anomalies.  My guests have been amazing ever since.

Amy1049
Level 2

Superhost

I've been in the service industry on and off since I was a teenager and I swear, the public is actually getting worse.

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

It isn't easy @Amy1049 ! When we host people we open ourselves up to the full range of personalities and characters out there...and not all of them appreciate the hard work we put into our listings and hosting.

I have had the same- 5* listing and guest not happy about the apartment or cleaning standard, which is always the same! All I can do is remember that this is not the experience of 99.99% of my guests so I won't give them 99.99% of my head space.

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Paul1255  After having one of my top 3 "annoying" guests check out (and cost me almost $1,000) the next guest to check in was amazing!

Nothing she really did to stand out, just that she was super polite, left the place spotless, was very complimentary and...

About 15 minutes before check-out sent me this message:

"Hey! I'm about to leave but is there any way I could meet Griffin before I go? If it's inconvenient, don't worry about it!"

Griffin is my dog. Of course I brought him out of my room so she could meet him. 🙂