Dogs

Margaret877
Level 1
Scotland, GB

Dogs

We're quite new to hosting.

We decided against allowing pets for a variety of reasons, but mainly because its a small property and is decorated in light colours.

On three occasions people have asked if they could bring their dog and we've agreed. So far there hasn't been any problem with having them but we're wondering about having an extra charge for pets as logically there is extra cleaning required to ensure no dog hairs are lurking. 

So any advice or experiences would be welcome!

How much would it be reasonable to charge? Do we charge per pet or have a flat rate?

Help!!

Maggi

5 Replies 5
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Margaret877 you can certainly have a pet fee, and it can be per night/pet or flat, as you prefer. Airbnb doesn't make it easy; you have to either send guests a special offer including the fee, or request it through the resolution center. We charge $20/night/pet on Airbnb; on other platforms that support a built-in flat fee we do that. Personally we've found dogs cause fewer cleaning issues than kids, and on the few occasions we've had minor damage, the guests have paid up with no drama.

Allowing pets does seem to expand one's market, though there are also guests who (due to severe allergies for example) specifically don't want to stay in a place that ever allows pets.

Amanda660
Level 10
Auchenblae, United Kingdom

We also host in Scotland.  

A few months ago we decided to allow dogs (up to 2) and we have found that it’s brought in loads of extra guests that we wouldn’t have attracted before.  We request that dogs aren’t allowed on the sofas and beds, guests bring their own pooch beds and that pooches are not left unattended.  We  charge £10 per dog per night and no- one has ever baulked at the charge.

We leave our human guests a little welcome basket and when we host pooches we leave out a towel, bowl, feeding mat and some treats.  It goes down really well.   We’ve got two Yorkies  and their humans tomorrow, a collie at the weekend, and a couple of spaniels last week.  January (pre pooches) is usually dead. 

How did you charge for this as I have had a few guests not pay  !! 
Thanks 

mel 

Amanda660
Level 10
Auchenblae, United Kingdom

@Melanie814  when I get a booking that includes a pooch or two I confirm that the pet request has been noted and advise I’ll send through a separate invoice the week before the stay.

send through the request  for the pet fees a week before they are due to arrive and they must pay before their stay.  

Maxine103
Level 2
Newquay, United Kingdom

@Melanie814 I'm  having same problem! Im asking my next guest if they leave the money in an envelope before they leave!