Drug Dealing in Property and Air BnB has done nothing to support

Drug Dealing in Property and Air BnB has done nothing to support

Please can someone help me in what to do next, as I believe now it will be to take legal action against Air BnB.

My sons and I home was used by guests in December for both drug taking, and what the police to be drug dealings once they has visited my home when I returned after the first had left to find drugs across my home!! I obviously contacted Air BnB immediately, I have contacted the by opening threads that they close immediately, by email, daily by phone as the police also asked for corresponding details as they would like more information on the guests. I had to throw certain items from home away, but more importantly have been devastated and felt so invaded!! Like I said I have now to daily trying to make contact with Air BnB as I have promised calls backs that never occur, time frames that they will contact me within that does not occur, promises that they will escalate and that a case manager will contact me the end of the day which again has never happened!! Please please please tell me where to head to next with this?? It has been and still is awful, saddening and unsettling. 

8 Replies 8
Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Natasha369 

It seems obvious for the Police to contact Airbnb....

From your account the Police want you to get hold of information that you don't have.

Moreover, Airbnb will not give you confidential verification details of the Guests.

But if the Police want it, they will get it from Airbnb by process of law.

Yes thank you, the issue is that Air BnB have not dealt with the situation at all!! Actually ignoring it totally, with over 13 times of promises of contact back to myself in regards to a Case Managers contact name for both myself and police. Obviously I have made an official complaint to Air BnB in regards to the behaviour at my home and damage!! They have no replied, and what I find really frustrating when you try to contact them via thread they send a link stating “that a representative will be in contact within 24hrs” return back to look 30 minutes later and the thread has been closed! 

Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Natasha369 

Natasha, you're evidently either new or very infrequent user of this forum.

Thus I don't like telling you, but you're receiving what many consider 'normal' service from Airbnb, (i.e. extremely difficult to deal with in such cases).

I've not experienced these difficulties myself as I've been fortunate not to encounter such problems. However, this forum is littered with posts on the subject, and others who will surely respond to your post may give you more constructive feedback.

I can only reiterate, inform the Police of the problem you are encountering, and if they wish to pursue the matter, they will. The Police will also help you to make any claims for damages, etc. 

airbnb does not care about hosts, only guests. They cover themselves by manipulating hosting site in a most manipulative manner-deleting what we need to prove a point, and making it impossible to continue to address an issue by closing threads! Good luck, we are having a similar issue and leaving Airbnb after having wonderful reviews for years. Airbnb is not to be trusted (at least by hosts) due to their unethical treatment. 

Rowena29
Level 10
Australia

@Natasha369 

So sorry this has happened.

This is why many hosts require guests to present their ID on arrival - so that the host can verify on the names on the booking are the same as on the ID, because, as you have discovered. airbnb wont' release any guest info ( and the names they use on their profile can be any name at all)

I know how incredibly frustrating it is to send messages and have the 'case closed' response.

I have no experience re this, but a number of hosts report that using Twitter to create a bit of a sensation, gets a better response.   Also. I would consider involving the press.  Keep a record of all your failed responses ( it sounds like you have them in writing) and see if you can interest a  news source to do a story on how airbnb does absolutely nothing to support the police in following up criminal behaviour.  They hate bad press, this is the most likely way you will get action.  It's dreadful that you have to go so far, but you are more or less forced to when they fail to respond to any of your queries.

Good luck!

Great idea, thank you! I will go to press investigative team (airbnb is already getting a bad reputation here for other reasons), I will also go to twitter. My situation is a bit different but have had NO support, and a lot of conflicting advice on their thread that they close right away. They told me they were "emailing" me in all further communication so I could submit documentation, photos to support my position.  They refused to provide any physical or email address for Airbnb, and I kept requesting addresses to send documents as they would not send via the message threads. All I received were "no reply..www.aribnb.com" emails. It has taken approx 20 days to get the docs to them, all the while we continued communication with airbnb for assistance to upload or send docs.  Just the day before we were finally able to submit our docs on this conflict resolution (which we could not open or see at all) Airbnb took it upon themselves to charge us, returning funds we had earned to a guest that lied about numerous situations ("no hot water"checked by maintenance within minutes; there was plenty of hot water, she admitted it was her "fault"?; damages by guest to property; wifi not working when it was, etc).  Although we had communicated this to Airbnb, they apparently listened to her instead. I appreciate knowing where to go with complaints about airbnb that may be heard! This woman made a reservation on 12/23/19 for 12/29/19-12/31/19 for two days according to our policy and as allowed by airbnb pollicy. She received our home with an early check-in time to accommodate her (she had a toddler with her).  The home was, as always, in beautiful "sparkling" clean condition; everything was working fine (we have never had a bad review in our years with airbnb at all). She stated to the maintenance staff when hot water was checked that she was going to Denver (we are 100 miles+/- southwest). That was after her first night at our property. We initially gave her the benefit of the doubt, agreeing if all this was happening to refund her 2nd night and help her find another accommodation via airbnb (policy-she should have called them but didn't). She was going to leave, but did NOT! Her party of 3 adults and one toddler were still there after check out later in the day. She told one of the maintencance/cleaning crew she needed a place to "hang out" until it was time to attend an event that evening. She had hidden her car so no one saw it when they went to the property. When "caught" still in the home the 2nd time, she drove through the backside of the property over yard, gardens and sidewalk taking out commercial sprinkler heads. Why? Because she only wanted to pay for one night and we require a 2-day minimum stay. She tried to get her second night for free by hiding in the home and lying about leaving.  What did Airbnb do about this? We were penalized! We not only were subjected to losing other rentals during a holiday, but Airbnb came to the "conclusion" that our home was NOT ready for guests due to no hot water, no WIFI, BOTH OF WHICH WERE FINE!!! Needless to say, we are done with Airbnb now. This woman had been a member since 2016 with only 1 review when she rented from us. I have not seen her review of us since I did not review her while this "conflict resolution" was going on. If Airbnb doesn't block this: please email us with similar issues to accentonlife@outlook.com. We are talking to an attorney now and leaving Airbnb.  

Hi Natasha

I am not sure what country you are based in but perhaps you have a consumer affairs TV programme or something similar.  In NZ we have a programme called "Fair Go" and most of the people who manage to get their stories reported on also miraculously get them resolved because the companies do not like the bad publicity.

I recently attended a state conference and learned that Airbnb properties have become a convenient mode for HUMAN TRAFFICKING, not to mention drug use, abuse and manufacturing! 

I am taking the advice of one of the community members below and will go to press investigative team (airbnb is already getting a bad reputation here for other reasons), I will also go to twitter. My situation is a bit different but have had NO support, and a lot of conflicting advice on their thread that they close right away. They told me they were "emailing" me in all further communication so I could submit documentation, photos to support my position.  They refused to provide any physical or email address for Airbnb, and I kept requesting addresses to send documents as they would not send via the message threads. All I received were "no reply..www.aribnb.com" emails. It has taken approx 20 days to get the docs to them, all the while we continued communication with airbnb for assistance to upload or send docs.  Just the day before we were finally able to submit our docs on this conflict resolution (which we could not open or see at all) Airbnb took it upon themselves to charge us, returning funds we had earned to a guest that lied about numerous situations ("no hot water"checked by maintenance within minutes; there was plenty of hot water, she admitted it was her "fault"?; damages by guest to property; wifi not working when it was, etc).  Although we had communicated this to Airbnb, they apparently listened to her instead. I appreciate knowing where to go with complaints about airbnb that may be heard! This woman made a reservation on 12/23/19 for 12/29/19-12/31/19 for two days according to our policy and as allowed by airbnb pollicy. She received our home with an early check-in time to accommodate her (she had a toddler with her).  The home was, as always, in beautiful "sparkling" clean condition; everything was working fine (we have never had a bad review in our years with airbnb at all). She stated to the maintenance staff when hot water was checked that she was going to Denver (we are 100 miles+/- southwest). That was after her first night at our property. We initially gave her the benefit of the doubt, agreeing if all this was happening to refund her 2nd night and help her find another accommodation via airbnb (policy-she should have called them but didn't). She was going to leave, but did NOT! Her party of 3 adults and one toddler were still there after check out later in the day. She told one of the maintencance/cleaning crew she needed a place to "hang out" until it was time to attend an event that evening. She had hidden her car so no one saw it when they went to the property. When "caught" still in the home the 2nd time, she drove through the backside of the property over yard, gardens and sidewalk taking out commercial sprinkler heads. Why? Because she only wanted to pay for one night and we require a 2-day minimum stay. She tried to get her second night for free by hiding in the home and lying about leaving.  What did Airbnb do about this? We were penalized! We not only were subjected to losing other rentals during a holiday, but Airbnb came to the "conclusion" that our home was NOT ready for guests due to no hot water, no WIFI, BOTH OF WHICH WERE FINE!!! Needless to say, we are done with Airbnb now. This woman had been a member since 2016 with only 1 review when she rented from us. I have not seen her review of us since I did not review her while this "conflict resolution" was going on. If Airbnb doesn't block this: please email us with similar issues to accentonlife@outlook.com. We are talking to an attorney now and leaving Airbnb.