Email no longer supported for Guest Communication

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

Email no longer supported for Guest Communication

Did I just miss the boat and all the rest of you are aware that ABB has announced that they'll be killing the email feature (unless you tell them you want to keep it and you'll be a good little girl with how you use it).....

2 things: the announcement said that they MAY create the functionality of being able to send attachments via messaging

and

In order to protect our community and business, the following behaviors are prohibited:

-Asking guests to send photos of their government ID prior to arrival

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2799/airbnbs-offplatform-policy

10 Replies 10
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I can see why they would reinforce that hosts wouldn't ask for photo ID prior to arrival - too much risk of security/fraud issues. @Kelly149 

I have visited many countries that have a legal requirement for hotels and self-catering to collect photo ID and none of them ask for this ID in advance. it's always done on check-in.

Sorry I am not sure what email function you are referencing @Kelly149 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Kelly149  Yes, you missed it- there was a thread Lizzie started, asking if hosts used the email feature, to which many responded yes, it was essential in order to send attachments, However, following their M.O., Airbnb ignored that and eliminated it, unless, as you say, you "attest" to only using it in the ways that Airbnb, in their limited imagination and knowledge about hosting, could conceive of.

I do use it, and need it to send my guests a map to my place. Although half the time my guests got the email but without the attachment, so I have to ask them for their actual email address.

@Sarah977 it's true that I often ignore those "what do you think of this" threads, bc abb is so haphazard with followthru.

Attachments make so much sense for when you're getting a new person to a new place, in fact on that other STR platform I use it has always been an integrated part of the communication system to quickly and easily send pdf attachments right there in the message thread. ABB can't even make saved messages work in the app. It's bewildering that this is so difficult.

We should all be able to agree that getting good info into the hands of guests is good for everyone.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Kelly149 I missed that, too, but I don't see where we can tell them we want to keep it.  I need the email feature for my lock box app...

@Ann72 If you follow the help center article there is a section where you "attest" that you'll behave.

But, also, I think that same guidance says that you can't make them download any non-abb apps which I know a lot of people use for locks...

@Kelly149  Gah!  It’s a good thing I didn’t read the article then 😂 

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Kelly149 @Helen3  Here's the article that contains a link to the attestation:

"An update for hosts who use the guest email feature"

https://www.airbnb.com/resources/hosting-homes/a/an-update-for-hosts-who-use-the-guest-email-feature...

@Ann72 yes, I clicked the boxes and have been able to email guests

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I wouldn't mind this if they first set up the attachment function in the Airbnb system and made sure it worked properly BEFORE disabling the email feature. Instead, the email feature gets scrapped while they are 'looking into' introducing attachments to Airbnb messaging. 

The logic is really back to front.

@Huma0 right?!? "here's this thing that we know you use and we might make it so that you still can, but until then fill out this form, and then keep doing the exact same thing that you always did... " WHAT? like we all don't have bigger fish to fry right now...