Every site has something that could be different

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

Every site has something that could be different

I have listed on a few different platforms, and each of them has features/functions that I wish were available on all platforms, or gaps that I wish were fixed or updated.  The following are things that I really like and dislike about Airbnb, Booking, Expedia and Vrbo.

Booking and Expedia (I am only sharing Booking screenshots)

1. A photo can be assigned to multiple spaces instead of having to upload the photo to each listing.  

Debra300_2-1654104954875.png

2. Each space has the ability to disable the standard or non-refundable rate plan during certain dates.  In my example, from July 14 to 22, 2022 the standard rate is disabled and only the non-refundable rate is displayed.                                                                                                                                                                              Debra300_3-1654105352090.png

3. The ability to edit and have different criteria for the non-refundable rate versus the standard rate plan, e.g., different minimum/maximum stay, different advance booking window, change the discount percentage, and different listings can have customized non-refundable rate plans.        Debra300_4-1654106375842.png                                                                                               Hosts have the ability to systematically allow guests to reschedule a non-refundable reservation.  Debra300_10-1654109508677.png

4. Post all listings at the same location on the same site page.   Guests have the opportunity to see and book multiple spaces from the same host.                                                                                                                         Debra300_6-1654108100275.png

5. Both of these platforms only have predefined photo tags unlike ABB and Vrbo, and any free form description has to be incorporated in the image.                                        Debra300_5-1654107691115.png

6. Customer service reps follow up to support requests via both email and phone within 24 hours, and calls are made during the normal business hours of the listing's location.  CS reps on both platforms send updates from real people and not just automated messages, and none have ever stated that they will be off for the next few days.
  7. Hosts can collect payment from the guest.  Depending upon the listing's location country, the platform may offer to collect payment for an additional 5%, and then issue payment in the form an EVC (electronic virtual card) which the host will have to pay a credit card processing fee to obtain the funds.  Expedia does allow hosts to submit invoices for payment, and they are paid 30 days later via direct deposit at no additional cost.
  8. Expedia doesn't have a jump link to preview or see the live site listing.  Also, rate, photo and content changes take 24 to 48 hours to appear on the live site.

Vrbo

1. Vrbo offers a way to tag a spam message without requiring a host to response to the sender.            Debra300_0-1654103024203.png
  2. A non-refundable rate option is not available.  There is a non-refundable cancellation policy, but it's applied to the standard base rate, and doesn't offer a discount.   Debra300_7-1654108763213.png

3. Hosts can require guests to purchase damage protection coverage.   Debra300_8-1654109075225.png

4.   Hosts can determine the guest's payment schedule.                            Debra300_9-1654109158122.png

Airbnb

1. Has a central calendar that makes it easy to see availability and base rate for several listings.  Debra300_11-1654110716624.png

Booking and Expedia calendar views contain all of the different rates under each listing, and you must scroll up and down to see the availability for each listing.  

Debra300_12-1654111233052.png

2. Updates made by hosts are propagated to the Airbnb lives sites quickly, usually within minutes.
  3. Airbnb has a very robust Help Center site that covers an expansive range of topics, a very active Community Forum, and Facebook Communities.

5 Replies 5
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Debra300 I wish I had the energy to list on more than one platform. I commend you for doing so. I guess I will stick with Airbnb unless they let me down badly.

@Mike-And-Jane0,

I totally understand, because it does take a lot of effort manage all of them.  There have been periods when I've snoozed listings.  We list on multiple platforms out of necessity.  Properties that have a large pool of guests who can reach them with relative ease will likely do well while listed only on Airbnb.  The majority of our guesthouse visitors have to overcome expensive, time consuming, travel and entry hurdles to come stay with us.  Travelers are required to have a valid passport, and must take a ferry or flight to get to the island.  Also, a good portion of them may have to take at least one COVID test.  Unvaccinated travelers must have a negative PCR test result for entry into St. Lucia, and may be required to take another one to return home (e.g., most U.S. inbound travelers STILL must have a negative test result regardless of nationality or vaccination status).

On the other hand, our Atlanta apartment is rarely vacant, and it was listed only on Airbnb until this past November when I listed it on Vrbo and Furnished Finders, because I don't want to have all of our eggs in one basket.  We received one reservation from each platform, but our next scheduled guest booked via Airbnb.

Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

@Debra300  What a great comparison summary! Thanks for taking the time to put this together. Hopefully, the folks at Airbnb will evaluate what you have written when determining the next round of features and fixes.

@Stephanie Hopefully, you can make sure someone from the development team sees this post. 

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks for the tag @Pat271 and oh yes, definitely has been shared back to the developers 🙂

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Hi Stephanie - @Stephanie I read your article about the summer release categories; I am also having issues with my listing not appearing under the "A Frame" category. last month airbnb reached out and did a professional photo shoot with a photographer 

can you provide me with any insight?  

my listing: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/53252277

thanks in advance, Sheila