Extra Guests

Extra Guests

We are new to hosting and are dealing with a number of guests who book for one adult and then have a visitor stay overnight. What is the protocol for dealing with this?

4 Replies 4
Dale711
Level 10
Paris, France

Hi @Leslie757 

Welcome to the community 😊
Your listings  announcement is for 2 guests.
However, the rate is different between 1 and 2 person. 

You could consider to fix the rate for the two person to avoid the same incident happened.As the guest may be not beware for additional price for 2 person in the accommodations.

Do well communication with the guest  and asked for a extra fee for the additional guest, claim the extra  fee thought to the Airbnb resolution center. 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/767/how-the-resolution-center-helps-you

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

The reality should be telling you your starting-with-1-approach is 'unnatural'. So why not change it? Think of a price for two (2) you feel comfortable with and enjoy your hosting with a lot less issues..

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Leslie757 

What a cute place! I'm going to assume when you say overnight visitor, you simply mean a second guest and not that the guest is picking up random strangers and bringing them back to the property.

As Fred mentioned, I would probably start with simply basing your pricing on 2 guests instead of charging per guest. It will make things a lot easier for you and the guests!

This is something you can address in your welcome message as well. Simply ask the guest after they book if they are booking for one or two people. With my listing people will often put 2 guests coming, but will not list the name of the second guest. I will then ask them to provide the name of the second guest for my records.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Leslie757 You are using Instant Book with no pre-booking message. I would highly suggest you set one up and ask the guest who they are traveling with. Many times guests will book for one but state "we" in their initial messaging. This is an oversight on their part and something you can catch early and know what to expect. 

Here is an example of mine:

Screen Shot 2022-06-05 at 10.17.55 AM.png