Eyeball rolling reasons why guests give low ratings

Kemi6
Level 10
Johannesburg, South Africa

Eyeball rolling reasons why guests give low ratings

Hello fellow hosts, 

What reasons have guests given you as what informed their decisions to leave a low rating, that have made you roll your eyes?  ๐Ÿ™„

Let's share, so we can blow off some steam at some and smile at others.

So we can also draw strength from knowing we are not alone on this hosting journey. 

So here's mine: reason was there were not enough plug points. We have 7 plug points in that space (maximum legal requirement is 8), 5 of which are visible and available for use (they are all double socket plug points). How much plug points does one need????

Enjoy your day!! ๐Ÿ˜‰

74 Replies 74

Thanks for the suggestion!  No, she did not have any reviews from prior hosts.  I also always leave reviews for my guests and send private messages.  

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

Quote from private feedback . . . 

"In the middle of the night, the shower leaked a little and scared us half to death since we were watching scary movies before bed! Only the first night, however, so we just chalked it up to old pipes and it wasnโ€™t a big deal at all. I just wanted to let you know Iโ€™m case you wanted to look into it or if you hear it from subsequent guests. I had taken a shower before bed, so maybe it was just residual water pressure.... but Iโ€™m not plumber!"

This guest obviously doesn't have a rain shower head at home.

"The binder says that if we wanted to take out our garbage, we can place it outside in the garbage can. I wasnโ€™t so sure about the trash can in the little closet outside. I didnโ€™t want to be intrusive either."

So they can read the given instructions but feel they are being intrusive when following them?

Ha! @Emilia42 , I had a "scary movies" guest, too! Had loaded up things to watch on their tablet. Watched the scary movies at night in the treehouse in the woods, and didn't sleep a wink. Each creak in the wind, each leaf rustle had them terrified. They laughed about it the next day, though. It wasn't "feedback", like yours. 

New house rule?

"If you watch scary movies or read scary books before bed, you agree that being afraid of shower heads and leaves is your own fault, and not the fault of your host."

๐Ÿ™‚

@Lawrene0 

Haha, some people. Up in a tree in the woods is the last place I would watch a scary movie! 

Maia29
Level 10
Anchorage, AK

@Sean433 You're right; some guests absolutely HAVE to say something negative no matter what. No pleasing those kind of people.

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

My favourite- the photos are not accurate, the bedroom is actually bigger in real life. 4* in accuracy and to top it off... Airbnb took those photos. ๐Ÿ˜‚

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

And my favorite was - 4* for location because "it's a little further from the waterfront than I thought
(inexpertly looking on a map)."

Trevor243
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

On a property that we regularly get 5* reviews on (10/10 on Booking.com), we got 4* on TripAdvisor because it rained (very very heavily) and the rain was noisy.

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Oh...

reason: the room was super noisy at night from the street and could not sleep. It was cold and uncomfortable, even the shower had no hot water. 

reality: fell asleep with the double glazed windows wide open and did not use the ear plugs we provided. Itโ€™s London, zone 2, itโ€™s never dead quiet. It was winter time in London (about 8C ) but the heaters were on. With regards to the shower, did not turn the hot water tap on. *SMH*

Erica266
Level 5
Ushuaia, Argentina

The title of my room is "very small room with a view" and i had a string of guest complaining that the room is small. honey, itยดs in the title.

I had one guest complaint that i lived there. oh, yes i live in my house, is not set as whole apartment. 
but the complaint i liked the most is one of a chinese girl that left me a 4 star in quality cause the bed was very warm and fluffy, iยดm sure that something got lost in translation there but that was amazing. 

I charge around 55 USD for an apartment that host up to 6 people and has a view to the bay and have some 4 star on value for money. I just canยดt understand that. and is in the center of the city.

Joanne155
Level 4
San Gregorio, CA

I had a complaint on cleanliness.  The guest said that the stove was not clean.  NOTE - we DO NOT have a stove!?  That was an "eye roll".  

Dinged on check in. The guest privately commented "unlclear instructions". So presumably meant the directions.

He was coming from the coastal path, decided to ignore our directions from the path 700 yards to our house, diverged from the path and arrived at our house (eventually) after clambering a rocky outcrop called Commando Ridge, doubling back to the lighthouse one mile away, in the process walking past our house twice, once past the back door once past the front door.

It's called commando ridge for a reason. the royal marines train commados to climb on it.  It's on the map. hikers on the coast path are warned about it's difficulty and told not to attempt it

Then he spent the night bleeding on our sheets from the scrapes and cut's he'd acquired mountaineering in shorts ๐Ÿ™„

Then gave us 3 stars overall.

ahaha hahaha @Kevin1322  aaaayooy ๐Ÿ˜„

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

And todays edition

3* on cleanliness because a single glass in a 4 bedroom, 2 bathroom flat was not washed properly. 

agghh I love people but honestly cannot understand some of their logic! Yes, I should have checked and will learn from this but.... honestly?! ๐Ÿคฆ๐Ÿปโ€โ™€๏ธ

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

And 3* overall with 1*-2* in communication, value, and accuracy because guest could not figure out how to open buildingโ€™s main door with the fob he was given and unlock the flatโ€™s door (you turn the lock on the door handle anticlock wise and then open). Both are listed in our house manual.

3* in location because โ€œThe neighborhood was noisy, but it was quiet, warm and comfortable late at night.โ€

Honestly... Please... is it me, am I really in the wrong here to think this is due to a lack of common sense?! Ok.... rant over!

note to self: if it wonโ€™t matter in 5 years, do not spend more than 5 mins worrying about it!