Eyeball rolling reasons why guests give low ratings

Kemi6
Level 10
Johannesburg, South Africa

Eyeball rolling reasons why guests give low ratings

Hello fellow hosts, 

What reasons have guests given you as what informed their decisions to leave a low rating, that have made you roll your eyes?  ๐Ÿ™„

Let's share, so we can blow off some steam at some and smile at others.

So we can also draw strength from knowing we are not alone on this hosting journey. 

So here's mine: reason was there were not enough plug points. We have 7 plug points in that space (maximum legal requirement is 8), 5 of which are visible and available for use (they are all double socket plug points). How much plug points does one need????

Enjoy your day!! ๐Ÿ˜‰

74 Replies 74
Stacey147
Level 9
Surprise, AZ

"4" Overall and "4" for listing accuracy 

Public comment: "Clean place and great location"

Private comment: "I was not able to read my book. Need another lamp."

Guest instant booked for 1 person for 4 days. (new listing 20% discount)  There were two who stayed overnight every night. Brought 4 visitors every day who stayed most of the day. Upon check out nearly the whole container of coffee was empty, all 8 extra towel sets were used. She never even bothered to contact me during her stay despite my confirmation message, pre-check in message, and mid-stay check in message that says. "I live just minutes away, if you need anything please let me know!"  

-Stacey
Nicole2047
Level 2
Te Anau, New Zealand

I got a bad rating because our guests were woken up at 8am in the morning by noise outside. This caused them to fall back asleep till 11.30am (checkout is 10am)  and they were very disturbed that I had to enter their room and wake them up personally (after knocking on the door for over an hour!!!). They were also annoyed that they had to close the bedroom curtains when they got dressed as people could see in...

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

4* rating in check in because the guest booked from the 10th February and arrived on the 9th... I should have known better ๐Ÿคฆ๐Ÿปโ€โ™€๏ธ

Laura2484
Level 10
Ohope, New Zealand

4* Accuracy - No , everything was as described๐Ÿ˜‚

4* Location - The road was a little wider than expected ๐Ÿ™ˆ( There are two lanes )

I kid you not, this is certainly not made up! 

Kaye65
Level 2
Mt Airy, NC

One guest gave me a three star for check in and accuracy. .... ok. I put pics of everything. Left them a box of Valentineโ€™s candy and a bottle of wine. A two bedroom, spotlessly clean house for $65 a night. The crack head hotel down the street charges more. And check in? I gave him the door code and respected his privacy. I donโ€™t live on the premises. He checked in when he felt like it.  This is my first month hosting, btw. 

Jennifer1774
Level 5
Sacramento, CA

My latest:  4 stars for location with the private comment โ€œWe loved everything about your guesthouse and our stay was perfect!  Your location is amazing. So close to all the great restaurants and nightlife yet the location was nice and quiet. You have a great place and we will for sure book again. We were hoping the city would be more like Portland though.  Itโ€™s getting there but itโ€™s not quite the same so 4 stars for that.โ€  REALLY?  Sigh. 

LOL! One of the most outlandish I've read.

@Jennifer1774 Yeah, that one is just over the top clueless. These people do not have fully functioning brains.

@Jennifer1774     Reminds me of one I got.  The city is not like 'Gossip Girl' - ding!

A few of the worst, a rarity, but with an out-sized impact on ratings.

3* As a Superhost (past) I should have offered costly amenities (for free) that I do not and cannot offer.

1* Standard cleaning products used in street entrance. Guest: All non-organic products are dirty.

1*  The host lives there!

That's horrible!

@Tom-And-Karen1    Yes truly horrible.  I got a wave of mind-boggling, disingenuous guests after a long period of acceptable, nice, great guests.  My rating went from Superhost to below 4.7,  warning, warning, warning, overnight. The worst review, even though not the last review, is the first review guests see. The 5 star reviews after that one appear at the end of hundreds of reviews, Airbnb gave some excuse about algorithms!

After a year's worth of work, we finally opened our Airbnb. So excited! They gave us a 5 on everything except a 4 for "more remote than expected." The total stars?--4. So now we have a 100% 4 star rating. Our listing emphasized the country feel, as well as sharing miles to towns and attractions. What happened to reading comprehension? Very discouraged.

I think we all feel so attached to our spaces and WE know how hard we have to work to get things right. Just keep going.

I have noticed people dont read!

Good luck 

Markus250
Level 2
Lachen, CH

Oh my. We have been hosting for a year and a half. The house is serviced daily. Have had a 5 star rating for cleanliness   entire time. Last guest rated us a 3 which has dropped that rating by 2%. The reason? She had to 'tell the cleaner twice to pick up two dead insects'. We live in a subtropical, eco estate surrounded by forest!!!!!!

I was so livid I wrote to the guest. So now I feel bad about that too!!!