๐Ÿƒ[FESTIVAL] Preserving nature by taking part in the "Beautiful Forest" operation๐Ÿƒ

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

๐Ÿƒ[FESTIVAL] Preserving nature by taking part in the "Beautiful Forest" operation๐Ÿƒ

Delphine348.png

This theme is part of the Community Center Festival of Sustainability

The original topic was posted in the French-speaking Community Center by @Delphine348 , and we have translated it below.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Every year since 2019, the council of the Country of Fontainebleau organizes an event about waste collection in the local forest, with the help of the Joint Syndicate of Collection and Treatment of Household Waste (SMICTOM), which lasts 2 days.

These days are part of the Challenge for the Environment (an association which aims to promote actions in the field of sustainable development)

To participate, simply search what is available near you using the association's website:

https://defipourlenvironnement.org/carte-des-evenements/

We are very lucky to live on the edge of the forest, in the heart of the French Gรขtinais Regional Natural Park, and a site protected by the Natura 2000 network.

Natura 2000 is a European network of natural areas identified for the quality, rarity or fragility of animal or plant species and their natural habitats. It aims to maintain biological diversity at European Union level. Natura 2000 sites are part of the biodiversity reservoirs to be preserved. It therefore exists to contribute to the preservation of these natural spaces.

Just taking a look at this infographic is enough to realize the long life of waste in nature! 

(Visuals by ยฉCiteo/Jean-Michel de Forceville ; Pixabay)

Quincy_0-1682093600832.jpeg

Preserving the forest and contributing to the reduction of pollution within it is essential and simple! Not throwing waste in nature and, if possible, taking part in the annual operation of waste collection which is proposed to us is enough.

Lasting about 2 hours, it is also an opportunity to meet our neighbors and part of our councilโ€™s team, and it ends with a friendly drink (reusable) to reward us!

Like last year, we walked through the forest near the highway and unfortunately found a lot of waste, probably thrown away by drivers and passengers as well as people going on a walk (plastic or glass bottles, packaging for crisps and snacks and bigger household wasteโ€ฆ)

The waste was sorted during collection and was collected by SMICTOM. The waste was thus properly recovered and recycled.

In 2019, 1500 citizens andโ€ฆ20 tons of waste collected in the forest of Fontainebleau!

Yes, it's huge, and that's not counting the collection of wild deposits all year round, which costs our town 800,000 euros!

Quincy_1-1682093600897.jpeg

Going out in nature without producing ANY waste is very easy!

A reusable water bottle, to drink tap water wherever you want. Just remember to wash it regularly with white vinegar or baking soda.

A beautiful basket and reusable containers.

A pretty tablecloth made of washable fabric that is much more suitable for a rural setting (and gingham is timeless!).

Food in a reusable box or cloth bag!

How about you, have you ever participated in a cleaning operation near your home?

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

7 Replies 7

@Quincy 

Terrific article!

When I was a child - eons ago - we carried a bag everywhere to pick up trash left behind by others on our walks, hikes and excursions. It was always a success - full bags of trash. I still am amazed at how casually people just toss and drop things. 

Delphine348
Host Advisory Board Member
Achรจres-la-Forรชt, France

Hi @Kitty-and-Creek0 ,

I am also still amazed by the quantity of wastes we pick up each time we go for a walk in the forest! And thinking of the Ocean, and the plastic continent floating on it....

I hope that the education we gave to our children will change this situation in the coming years ! 

Delphine

(Sauf indication contraire, mes contributions sont issues de mon expรฉrience en tant qu'hรดte)

@Delphine348 

I'm with you on that! How refreshing to meet another road and trail cleaner!

We learned that trash moves with the winds and waves, and every road has debris along the sides. We kids thought it very strange, and I still do. Still carrying my trash bag!

ps the forest we walk is our property, so we are delighted to expect it to be free of trash. How refreshing! 

@Delphine348 

A favorite quote of mine is about tossing pebbles in a pond, creating ripples of change...

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Quincy thank you for bringing us @Delphine348 article. What a great idea of a community clean up of the regional national park and a meet up with neighbours who are like minded.

It is amazing what you find along the highways or main roads from the "Tossers" we have an ad on TV which says dob in a Tosser. Often the rubbish is from the big "M" drive thru which is about 15 -20kms from the pick up. I am sure this happens in most countries around the world.

Delphine348
Host Advisory Board Member
Achรจres-la-Forรชt, France

Hi @Laurelle3 ,

We have a gas station near the village which sells fast food and it is the same...even when you can easily find a garbage can nearby! 

I am a golf player and I always have a bag to collect trashes along the golf course,  it rarely comes back empty to the club house. How can a golfer toss a snack package in such beautiful environnement?

Delphine

(Sauf indication contraire, mes contributions sont issues de mon expรฉrience en tant qu'hรดte)

This is a wonderful article that you share @Quincy  Thank you for posting this!