[FESTIVAL] What is Hospitality?

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

[FESTIVAL] What is Hospitality?

Hospitality is defined by Collins's Dictionary as a “friendly, welcoming behaviour towards guests or people you have just met, and this builds onto a relationship between a guest and a host”. Hospitality is also anticipating your guests needs, for example; toys and games for a family with young children or guests with different dietary requirements. This extra effort made for guests can leave them with a positive experience, which can benefit your Airbnb reviews. (Information obtained 2/8/2021  www.collinsdictionary.com). 

Opening up, sharing your home and welcoming guests is another style of hospitality. By offering a relaxed atmosphere in your home enhances good communication. Openness and honesty in hospitality allows the Airbnb hosts to set rules, guidelines and boundaries for their guests. Being honest and transparent with your accommodation advertisement can help promote goodwill in your Airbnb business. (Information obtained 6/8/2021 www.minimalsmmadesimple.com

Skills in hospitality involve communication, interpersonal skills, attention to detail, multitasking, flexibility time management, problem solving, hazard awareness, teamwork and industry awareness. All of these skills are what we do naturally or have learned for our Airbnb business. (Information obtained 8/8/2021 www.etcltd. com.au). 

Sustainable practice can be cost saving in hospitality when small steps are taken and passed onto their guests. Whether it’s from recycling, reducing and reusing waste, composting, using eco-friendly products e.g., reusable crockery, cutlery, linen. These small steps can help save the planet for future generations and eco-conscious guests. (Information obtained 4/8/2021 www.citronhygien.co.uk). 

Personalisation service has become an important role in the hospitality industry because guests are identified and treated as an individual. Welcoming guests with small personal touches e.g., handwritten welcome notes, flowers, chocolates can enhance the individual presentation. Communication prior to arrival also identifies if guests will require different dietary or cultural needs. Airbnb hosts who assess and adapt to their guests' personal needs can prove to be beneficial for all. (Information obtained 5/8/2021 www.insights.ehotelier.com). 

Interpersonal interaction in hospitality begins with yourself, your guest and how you communicate with them through verbal, listening, writing and body language. By adapting a style that works best for you can enhance honesty, trust and understanding with your guests. A positive experience for your guest can influence growth in your Airbnb business. (Information obtained 8/8/2021  www.collinsdictionary.com). 

Technology in hospitality has changed the way business is performed by guest booking and paying for their accommodation on-line and SMS messaging. Technology in Airbnb lets the host connect to guests by just clicking on a button, an electronic signal is sent, forwarding an instant confirmation of a booking. Airbnb’s digital media promotes homestays with visual views of accommodation for their online marketing. This is beneficial for Airbnb guests by providing them with different choices in accommodation, affordable price and location before making their booking. (Information obtained 5/8/2021 www.hospitalitynet.org

Ambience is described by Mirriam-Webster as “when feeling a mood associated with a particular place, person or thing” this can be powerful in hospitality. Ambience in your Airbnb is shown through your marketing photos, which will set you apart from competition in your local area. Again, the first impression of the ambience that you have created in your Airbnb lets guests feel comfortable, relaxed as if they were at home. (Information obtained 6/8/2021 www.merriam-webster.com). 

Leisure, hospitality and tourism work hand in hand providing consumers with accommodation, food, events, amusements and transport. Leisure is described by Collins Dictionary as “time free from the demands of work or duty, when one can rest, enjoy hobbies or sport”. Leisure events in your local area means people will require accommodation, and this can be beneficial for an Airbnb. For me, researching calendar events in our local area such as; triathlons, food, wine and art festivals helps me with planning and pricing for my Airbnb business. (Information obtained 7/8/2021 www.collinsdictionary.com  and www.dir.sd.gov

Independently owned business in hospitality allows owners to have autonomy, give attention to details in their properties and understand guests and anticipate their needs. Airbnb has encouraged and empowered independence by allowing hosts to advertise, and promote their style of accommodation, be flexible with stay dates, smart pricing and build a relationship with guests. (Information obtained 8/8/2021 www.getonimohospitalitygroup.com and www.clerkhotel.com

Travelers today are mainly business and leisure people, and people seeking special interests. With the emergence of Covid travelers are concerned with health, safety, hygiene and how precautions are maintained.  The best way to relay concerns is by communicating to their guest pre-arrival and during their stay can make them feel safer? Also don’t forget the Airbnb 5 step enhanced cleaning  protocols.(Information obtained 9/8/2021 www.hotelmize.com

You, I mean, me as to why I became involved in Airbnb hospitality. My rationale is; I was prepared to share my home and able to make a commitment, meeting and conversing with guests, making guests feel at home, making sure they enjoy their stay and my reward was making a little bit of pocket money. Lastly, I do what I do because I love what I do!

Laurelle

15 Replies 15

Hi Katja @Katja202 I agree with you in leaving out umbrellas as we have lent our guest wet weather jackets and umbrellas so that they could go out walking along the beach and the foreshore paths as they had come for a sunny weekend. When guests have stayed longer and we have got to know them we share a drink and nibbles at sundown as a gesture of friendship.