Fire disaster cancellation policy

Lisa5993
Level 1
Sonoma, CA

Fire disaster cancellation policy

I’m hosting my home for the first time this fall in Northern California. The past few years we have had fires and/or extremely poor air quality. I’m the event that happens again, can I allow my guests to cancel under a strict cancellation policy? 

3 Replies 3
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Lisa5993  Guests don't need permission from a host to cancel, it is never a matter of it being allowed or not allowed, regardless of the cancellation policy in place.The issue is how much of a refund they would get. And a host always has the choice to refund in full, regardless of the cancellation policy. 

But if a host can't host because their area is in the midst of a disaster zone, or a fire, hurricane, etc. makes it impossible to access the property,  you don't ask the guests to cancel- it's up to the host to cancel.

You should read through the Extenuating Circumstances policies to understand which situations would qualify for a penalty-free cancellation. But cancelling under that policy requires that you need to contact Airbnb customer service, you can't just cancel on your own or you'll receive penalties.

Debra300
Top Contributor
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Lisa5993,

I grew up in Solano County, and lived in the Bay Area for many years.  Every year there are Spare the Air days during the summer and autumn.  This is not a reason for a booking to be cancelled.  @Sarah977 has given you some good information.

Don't just believe what I say, check the Airbnb Help Center
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Lisa5993 @Debra300  I should have added that if the guest simply decides not to come because they read that the air quality was bad, or because they're afraid to come because there is a fire somewhere, but not necessarily where you live, then that would be up to the guest to cancel, and isn't a valid reason for a full refund. The host can still opt to refund, but be aware that many guests will simply lie about why they want to cancel, when in fact, it might just be that they were offered a free place to stay with friends or relatives, etc.

So don't be too quick to hand out refunds like candy. For the scammer guests, that just emboldens them to do the same to other hosts in the future.