Found Debit Card

Kimberlee8
Level 2
Hinton, OK

Found Debit Card

We found a debit card in the bed when cleaning our Airbnb. Of course I would normally just contact the guest and return it. I’m reluctant, though, because this card bears the name of a person who does not appear to have any connection to the guest. (I checked both social media profiles.)

Would you contact the guest via the platform, contact the person named on the card via FB private message, or is there another option? 

23 Replies 23
Sherry346
Level 5
Dania Beach, FL

You are a good person.

Cut it up, take a photo of the pile of cut up plastic with no number sequences showing.

Notify no one, dispose of it safely, retain the image, but respond quickly to anyone who may inquire, but that is very dicey. You should neither confirm, nor deny any information, scammers are very slick, and will resort to anything to get you to even say your last name or email - and you should disclose NONE of it. Make them email you, airbnb, and have a written trail of every word. 

Simply, I admire and respect you - but spend no more time on something a likely matching identity person would have shut off the card with a flick or the wrist likely before you made the bed. and you would have received a fast panic contact long ago

Till-and-Jutta0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Stuttgart, Germany

Is there an option to return it to the bank?

No, it's a cash app debit card. There's no phone number or contact info on it. The only info is a website:  cash.app/help -- but it requires a login to interact with a representative.

Thanks for the reply and the idea!

@Kimberlee8  There should be an account services phone number on the back of the card. Just give them a call to report that you found it.  What they'll do is contact the card's rightful owner, cancel it, and issue a new one. You're then free to destroy the card.

If a former guest contacts you to ask about it, there's no reason not to tell them that you've taken that action. It's the normal thing that the bank would advise you to do.

Thank you for the reply, @Anonymous.

It's a cash app debit card. There's no phone number or contact info on it. The only info is a website:  cash.app/help -- but it requires a login to interact with a representative.

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Kimberlee8 I think, and I could be wrong, but I think that there is some requirement/policy hotels have to wait for the guest to contact them about lost articles. @Emilia42 mentioned it in a thread long ago. I used to contact guests about leave behinds, and now I wait for them to contact me after hearing that. It makes a degree of sense-- sometimes people leave things they may not want back, or be embarrassed that a stranger found. 

I would probably just do as @Anonymous suggested. I would not offer to allow this person not on the reservation to pick this up, nor the guest if they do try and arrange. If you guest contacts you, you can just say that you were confused by the find as the individual did not appear on the reservation so you contacted the bank and they are taking care of it. If you can't get a hold of the bank try downloading the app and doing this:

https://cash.app/contact

I would also say something in the review. "So and so was great etc etc. It was clear that there were additional guests not disclosed on the reservation when we turned over the space. Future hosts may want to verify guest counts with so and so. Otherwise great stay."

@Laura2592  Why is it clear there were undisclosed guests? Just because a debit card with an unfamiliar name on it was found doesn't mean that at all and I definitely wouldn't write that in the review.

I'm not sure why everyone is assuming this indicates something nefarious. It certainly could, but it could just as easily be a debit card in the name of one of the guest's spouse, who wasn't one of the guests, or a family member. 

@Sarah977 its a cash card. So its basically like a burner phone-- something that gives you access to a resource without having any digging into your background. It was found in bed. Which is a really weird place to keep any kind of ATM card. Perhaps the OP has more info on the stay, but:

I’m reluctant, though, because this card bears the name of a person who does not appear to have any connection to the guest. (I checked both social media profiles.)

So I am assuming the guest was not disclosed. 

My guess? Affairbnb. But I could be totally wrong. At any rate I would not give out this money to someone who had not been on the reservation. I would not meet a stranger whom I had never chatted with to return this card. And if it does turn out to have been an extra guest I would 100% call that out in a review. 

@Laura2592  I wasn't suggesting the host make an effort to return the card to the guest, only that making presumptions about it isn't the right thing to do. For all the host knows, it was a gift from the guest's parent. "Here's a cash card to help you out on your vacation".

The point is, the host has no idea  whether it is something innocent or not.

@Sarah977 presumably it would be in the name of a guest or someone on the reservation if it were a gift for that person. Or the host would see a connection on social media. Its equally plausible that the guest stole it, found it randomly somewhere themselves, or had a guest they didn't want the host to know about. All things being equal, the most likely scenario is that it belonged to someone who stayed who was not on the reservation. If the host has other evidence that cements this, yes I would mention it in a review as it has bearing on what future hosts may think of this guest. 

Helen @744 . so after 'stealing ' this card they then hid it in the bed for you to find Dont think so . If this is cash that you found would u all pocket it so quick . I hope not. H

@Laura2592 @Sarah977 

To clarify, it's not a cash card. It's a debit card that's connected to a cash app account (which is in turn connected to the cardholder's bank account, so it is just like a bank debit card with an interim step). 

So, there's no chance it was a gift or something along those lines. 

Given the complete lack of connection between the guest and the name on the card, it does feel like something's off about the situation.

I was more concerned with what to do with the card & hadn't considered mentioning this in my review of the guest.

I appreciate both of your perspectives very much.

@Kimberlee8 ah. Okay. I wasn't even aware that cashapp had an ability to have an account. I have not used it. I am just familiar with the cash cards.

I would say go with your gut. If it seems like there were other people not mentioned on the reservation-- that the guest booked for one or two and there are a signs that an inordinate number of items were used, beds slept in, etc-- its highly probable that this person had more individuals than stated. Perhaps it was a hook up and they arrived alone. Perhaps they just didn't realize that they could not bring as many people as they wanted. Perhaps they willfully deceived you. In any case, bringing unregistered guests is my number one hosting pet peeve and I would definitely want to know about it. Conversely, guests often believe that as long as they pay, they can use the space for as many people as they want. You can certainly decide where you fall as far as mentioning or not mentioning this in a review. We once had a guest bring 5 people after booking for one, and they all left suggestions in our suggestion box signing their names....the guest got very upset when we called her on the extra people (we have 4 capacity and charge a small fee per night over 2.)  Its a very common occurrence. 

Back to your card issue,  you aren't obligated in any way to return particularly if you have no info about this person. I would do my best to contact the financial institution to report that you found it, and then cut it up. 

Helen@744. Seriously?If you can ascertain this was the the guests as any other object then contact them and say you found a card. You are not the bank manager it is not yours so give it back .What is wrong with all of you. There are a million reasons why a card could  be in someone elses name. None of them your business H