Guest Broke House Rules

Michael6575
Level 2
Clifton, NJ

Guest Broke House Rules

What do you do when guests break house rules?

1. Guest brought unauthorized dog.

2. Guest checks in late at 1:30am instead of the 3pm to 8pm window. 

3. Guest had a total of 5 guests instead of the 4 total authorized. 

They are staying for 2 nights. Tonight is the first night. At this point, what can I do or say?

8 Replies 8
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Michael6575 Do and say nothing. It is too late and will just earn you a bad review and achieve nothing. NOW - When the guest leaves, assuming no damage, leave an honest but scathing review soon after they leave. They will not suspect anything and hopefully leave you a good review (if deserved)

Good idea. Question I have a $200 per night penalty for specifically having an unauthorized pet and a $750 deodorizing fee. I also have a $75 per night fee for extra guest. Assuming there was no damage and no urine from pet anymore do I just let it ride? Or at some point after they leave do I file for some fees with Air Bnb? Thoughts?

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Michael6575 

"Guest checks in late at 1:30am instead of the 3pm to 8pm window. "

So the first night is a short one !

Just suffer another night and then they are gone anyway (stick to the check-out time !)

Good point and kind of what I was thinking but I previously agreed to extend there checkout from 10am to 11:30am 🤦🏻‍♂️

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Michael6575   I have fond memories of vacations at the lake in the 70's.  

In your review of the guest, be straightforward and NOT wordy.  The review is factual, not a place to "complain".  You could invoice via the AirBnB Resolution Center for the $200 pet fee and $150 for the extra guest, but you are never going to see the $750 deoderizing fee.  So, IMO, your review should be that

"The guest exceeded the number of persons booked and brought an unauthorized animal.  The guest is better suited to a hotel". 

Done.

Thank you so much. I appreciate those view points. They are excellent. 

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Michael6575 

Please make sure you click the "will not host again button" when you do the review.  You don't qant them to potentially have a chance to book via Instabook, if you use that😉

100% agree. Will do!