Guest Cancels On Arrival

Guest Cancels On Arrival

Advice appreciated.

A guest cancelled reservation upon arrival saying there were cobwebs near the door and that the house smelled bad and they couldn't stay. 

I was stunned as, firstly this has not happened in the near 6 years I've been hosting, and I had my cleaner in that morning.

I have a supervise status and a 4.9 rating for cleanliness.

I got my cleaner to return to house as soon as they left to check, and she reported all looked fresh and clean. Only smell was a natural Danish wood oil from new timber shelving.

Guest requests full refund on my strict cancellation policy. I suspect my listing was not read thoroughly, and these guests just didn't like my place. They didn't follow instructions I provided for check in, or for booking, so I believe they just chose something unsuitable to their taste and now making excuses of bad smell and cobwebs.

Should I refund?  

7 Replies 7
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Blue-Mountains0  Sorry about the clueless guests. No, do not offer a refund. Chances are, they will grouse to Airbnb and get a refund anyway. So do nothing at this point. If Airbnb contacts you, asking you to agree to a refund, say no, the guests didn't read the listing, and didn't respond to messages or follow your instructions for booking or check-in- that you aren't responsible for their inattention or the fact that they made up a bogus reason for cancelling. Airbnb may very well override your cancellation policy to appease the guests, but no need for you to do anything to facilitate that.

Thanks for feedback. I am concerned about reviews, and all the effort and care I take to maintain my super host status and positive guest experience.

@Blue-Mountains0  People like this don't generally leave a good review whether they get refunded or not. What normally happens in a case like this, from all the posts I've read here over time, is that refunding or otherwise pandering to bad guests does not ward off a bad review. The host ends up losing all the money and getting a bad review anyway. 

There is nothing you can do to make this a positive guest experience. The guests already made it a negative experience. That's on them, not on you.

Yes, an unpleasant experience, and a system that causes host stress. Am questioning whether it's all worth it.

There is no reason for you to refund the guest.

As you know the guest is meant to give a host a chance to resolve any issues. They didn’t.

No refund. 
leave an honest review to warn other hosts 

I was quite bewildered when I got their call. I told them my cleaner had been there that morning, so I couldn't comprehend their complaint. I suggested they open some windows, explaining that it was a non-toxic timber for interior, but they were adamant, they could not stay.

What else should/could I have offered to resolve?

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Blue-Mountains0 

Tell Your guest that You are tight with money right now and You cannot refund anything at this point of time, but you would consider a refund in 14 days from now.

Meanwhile, leave them a horrible 3* review. Write, that this guest was the only one out of 200 who thought Your house smells and that he wanted a full refund because of it. This guest will not be able to book a new place with his existing airbnb profile.

Renata, if You refund money right now and then Your guest rates You 3*, You will be freaking out.