Guest Requesting Reservation Change

Laura2217
Level 2
Mill Valley, CA

Guest Requesting Reservation Change

I’m currently in pickle with AirBNB.  I have a long-term guest who wants to shorten their stay and check out on Feb. 29th.  I told them I was ok with this, even though it is less than a 30 day notice, and to make a reservation change on her end.  My guest ran into the price adjusting to a much higher rate, so I offered to call support on her behalf.

Long story short, I’ve been going back and fourth with different case managers, and get the impression they are making it impossible.  They suggested a reduced payout, so I would have to refund the guest.  I messaged giving the correct payout amount, and nothing.  The case manager leaves for the day with my calendar blocked and no update.  I called again, and the second case manager messages me saying she is gone for the day and if I need any more assistance to call back.  She told me on the phone she was following up with the guest.

Any suggestions of how to escalate this?  What seemed like a simple request has taken up most of my day, and it isn’t for my benefit.  

Any help on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

Laurie Boscoe

8 Replies 8
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Personally I wouldn't accept a change to shorten the stay for a long term guest, but would just suggest they cancel under the long term policy. @Laura2217 

If you want to accept a reduced stay and let the guest keep a lower rate, would not the easiest way for you to do this is to accept the change and then send them a special offer

Luana130
Level 10
State of Bahia, Brazil

I actually had a similar situation, though I did not make the same decision you made. I had a guest who booked for a month, half way during his stay he decided to change his plans. I told him he could make the change and I would accept, but that he was going to lose money. He tried to make the change and because of the really good monthly rate I had back then, he would actually have to pay more for a shorter stay. He kept sending me messages and even a money request for half the amount he paid. I told him, he was free to go, but that there were no refunds.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

You got Airbnb involved and they really don't know how to deal with issue like this. Whenever I have dealt with a reservation change, I send the request myself. I alter the dates and set the price manually to what I want to receive. For instance, if the guest is paying $50 per night with a monthly discount attached (30 x $50 = $1500) but then shortens their stay by 10 nights, I will submit a reservation change for 20 nights at $1000 (20 x $50.)

If you let the system automatically calculate the price it will pull from your current rates with no discount attached. Hence the price adjusting to a make high rate.

Laura2217
Level 2
Mill Valley, CA

Hi Helen,

Thank you for your response. I don’t know how my guest would cancel her stay and be able to stay with me for the remaining 3 weeks.  

I’m learning the hard way about long-term stays as this is the second time a guest has reduced their stay, so I’m not accepting them in the future.  

For now, I need advice on how to get AirBNB to help me.  Thanks again.

Laurie

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Laura2217why not just follow @Emilia42 ‘s advice— decline the guest’s alteration request and send your own, with correct dates and price? No need to rely on Airbnb CS.

I’ve heard it is best to have support or the guest initiate.  In the mean time, support has taken the initiative and is trying to help.  I also wasn’t clear on how to do this, but I believe my issue has been taken care of.

Thank you everyone who sent me a response.

Laurie

@Laura2217 Honestly, if support really took the initiative the reservation would be fixed within minutes. And they shouldn't "try to help" they should immediately know how to fix it. It is their system after all.

Sorry, I guess I'm in a pessimistic mood today.

@Laura2217 it's true you should never initiate a cancellation. But this does not apply to alterations. There's no reason for you not to help your guest with that.