Guest asked reduced the time in long stay

Answered!
Lor8261
Level 2
México D.F., Mexico

Guest asked reduced the time in long stay

My guess payed a long stay but now she ask to reduce the time and to leave before the date payed. I agree, but the app does not allow me accept the solicitud, so, what should I do? Should I refund the money? Thanks

1 Best Answer
Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Lor8261,

I noticed that you offer a weekly and a monthly discount.  Please be aware that there are guests who try to shorten long-term stays to take advantage of large discounts when they always intended to stay for a shorter period.  When a stay is shortened the rate isn't adjusted to what would have been charged if it were the original reservation period.  So, a guest may book for a month-long stay to get the large discount, and then say they need to cancel after a few days (a duration that wouldn't receive a discount).  They ask the host to cancel the reservation, because this will provide an automatic refund.  

In the future, if you have this type of situation again and you want to agree to shorten the reservation, you can tell the guest that you will change the checkout date, and adjust the rate to match the length of stay.

5 Replies 5
Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Lor8261 - Assuming the guest signed up for a long stay, you'll be paid as per the rules, below. Do not try refunding yourself (if you want to), simply refer guest to Airbnb for them to manage. 

Long term

This policy applies to all stays of 28 days or longer and overrides your standard cancellation policy for those stays.

• To receive a full refund, guests must cancel within 48 hours of booking, and the cancellation must occur at least 28 days before check-in
  • If a guest cancels after that, you’ll be paid 100% for all nights spent, plus 30 additional nights
  • If fewer than 30 days remain on the reservation when the guest cancels, you’ll be paid 100% for all of those remaining nights

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/475/cancellation-policies-for-your-listing

Thank you @Gordon0 , The link helps me too much to suport my answer of "no refund", have good day!!

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Lor8261,

I noticed that you offer a weekly and a monthly discount.  Please be aware that there are guests who try to shorten long-term stays to take advantage of large discounts when they always intended to stay for a shorter period.  When a stay is shortened the rate isn't adjusted to what would have been charged if it were the original reservation period.  So, a guest may book for a month-long stay to get the large discount, and then say they need to cancel after a few days (a duration that wouldn't receive a discount).  They ask the host to cancel the reservation, because this will provide an automatic refund.  

In the future, if you have this type of situation again and you want to agree to shorten the reservation, you can tell the guest that you will change the checkout date, and adjust the rate to match the length of stay.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Lor8261 Unless you sort this out with Airbnb involvement the dates already booked will stay blocked and you will not be able to find another guest.

Either

1) Do nothing and keep the money with the dates blocked or

2) Ask Airbnb to adjust the length of the stay and say you agree to a refund of the remaining days.

Which you choose depends on so many factors (good guest? Good reason for leaving early? Ease of rebooking? Your need for money? etc etc I am afraid only you can decide which to choose.

Thank you @Mike-And-Jane0 , option 1 sounds better. :3 THANKS !!!