Guest booked my place twice a month for 3 months and canceled most stays.

Pat21
Level 2
McCall, ID

Guest booked my place twice a month for 3 months and canceled most stays.

I had a guest book my place during Dec, Jan, Feb, and March. 2 separate weekends each month. This is a busy time with holidays, Winter Ice Carnival, and two ski hills. So far he has canceled all but one booking. He is scheduled for two more weekends and I would bet anything he will cancel the upcoming one too. I have a flexible cancellation policy, so he only has to give me 24 hr. I'm so frustrated with the situation but have been able to fill the place on all but one weekend. He lives 2 hours away, so it is likely he will be a problem next season. I would like to block him, but not sure what that will mean or do. If I understand the stuff in help it would mean he wouldn't be able to see my booking. Is this right? What else will happen if I block him?

My second question is can I change the cancellation policy for different months? Like summer and winter.

24 Replies 24
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Pat21 

You can not set different cancellation policies for different time periods.

If you block a guest, the guest can  not communicate or book with you anymore.

Because of the multiple cancellations IMO you can also ask the guest not to book anymore., if you are on Instant Book (IB).

BTW I never accept multiple bookings from a guest i did not host before at least once. But i am not on IB, so it is easier to manage.

Thanks for the information. I have tried not doing IB, but it is a lot easier for me. I have thought about changing to moderate only it seems flexible works most of the time. If he canceled the last two weekends, I am going to block him. I don't think he would take the suggestion of not booking anymore well. 

@Pat21 If you do end up hosting  this person once, you can click 'would not host again' at the review point. This means they can never instant book with you again, but could send a request to book. Just another way to handle it. I would also mention the issue in the review. As a host, I would want to know that. This person is taking advantage and being extremely thoughtless. Doesn't bode well for how they may act as a guest in your home. 

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Pat21,

For me the best cancellation policy is Firm.  

• Firm cancellation policy: To receive a full refund, guests must cancel at least 30 days before check-in. They can also get a full refund within 48 hours of booking if the cancellation occurs at least 14 days before check-in. If they cancel between 7 and 30 days before check-in, you’ll be paid 50% for all nights. If they cancel less than 7 days before check-in, you’ll be paid 100% for all nights.

I'm new,  how do you set up the firm cancellation policy?  So far I have instant booking and the guests have been good.  I have one coming up who booked a whole month and when I messaged him about checkin next week it sounds like he may cancel.  

Maxine0
Level 10
Brighton, United Kingdom

Pat21 - you need to get in control and remove his power / indecisiveness, inconsiderate behaviour. Cancel his remaining bookings and in the reason message say ' I cannot rely on your booking being honoured by you since you have cancelled X bookings over X  period, which has left me in a loss position. I can no longer feel confident in your bookings. 

I am sure you'll understand\Regards xyz ..... 

Then block him 

He has been blocked. Thanks 

I absolutely love that response, but can she do that without getting penalized by Airbnb?   

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Pat21 Unfortunately, to block someone, you must first report them. Click the flag icon next to their name in the message stream and choose 'they're being offensive'. Choosing any other option will not give the option to block at the end. You can just explain that you wish to block the person only, not actually report them. Airbnb makes this difficult, but that's the only way. As mentioned, they won't be able to communicate with you, so will not be able to attempt to book with you ever again.

Thanks, I really don't want to block and feel uncomfortable with FB's process. I guess I'll just see what happens and let myself get over being upset before making a decision. Appreciate the help.

@Pat21 Airbnb makes it uncomfortable on purpose. They want to discourage blocking, as the only thing that matters to them is bookings, They don't care if you get a nasty guest. It's still a service fee in their pocket. I have blocked many people. It's necessary sometimes. I'm not interested in having to deal with and fend off people I don't wish to host. It's a waste of my time. 

@Colleen253 I just blocked someone and it shows the block within the message thread. I've never seen that before and I'm really hoping ABB wasn't dumb enough to make that visible from both sides. 

so yeah, this is very true: "Airbnb makes it uncomfortable on purpose. They want to discourage blocking, as the only thing that matters to them is bookings, They don't care if you get a nasty guest. It's still a service fee in their pocket. I have blocked many people. It's necessary sometimes. I'm not interested in having to deal with and fend off people I don't wish to host. It's a waste of my time."

@Kelly149 That's not new, in my experience. But I don't know what it shows on the other side.

@Pat21  FB's process? You mean Airbnb's?

"I don't think he would take the suggestion of not booking anymore well."

Why would you care how he takes it? On the one hand you say you want to block him, and are understandably annoyed by his disrespect in booking and cancelling, then say you aren't comfortable with blocking and seemingly don't want to offend him?