Guest cancelled on first day of stay on Moderate cancellation policy

Natalie157
Level 2
Tulsa, OK

Guest cancelled on first day of stay on Moderate cancellation policy

Hello! I've been hosting for nearly 4 years and am a proud Superhost. I had guests booked for a 3-night stay, checking in on May 8, for their daughter's Master's grad ceremony. The morning of check-in, her husband called me to cancel. He said 2 of the guests, including his wife who booked, have bronchitis. She went to the doctor 2 days before but thought she could rally and make the trip. They waited until the absolute last minute to cancel. He even said he was still coming to town, but would find lodging elsewhere since he didn't need an entire house. My cancellation policy is "Moderate," which states, "Full refund 5 days prior to arrival." No "learn more" below like other cancellation policy options; it looks very black and white. I thought this meant that a guest has up until 5 days before check-in date to cancel and receive a full refund. Within that 5 day window, no refund would be issued. Apparently it does not.

I was given a payout that was $246 less than my full amount. I don't understand what I'm not understanding. I've contacted Airbnb. The Support Ambassador's supervisor was supposed to call me, but she instead sent a message during the designated call window (Monday morning 8AM-noon & I'd cleared my morning to be available). I messaged back, my question still unanswered, and heard nothing. I called Airbnb this afternoon (Tuesday), and the Support Ambassador's supervisor contacted my already-assigned supervisor. They refuse to call me. I find the quick questions-and-answers/back-and-forth of a phone call can be efficiently faster than messaging. I just want to talk to a supervisor. The supervisor just sent a message telling me I've received a payout via my chosen policy. The numbers do not add up and my guests cancelled the day of check-in. What am I missing here? Any clarification you all can provide would be extremely helpful. Thank you!

19 Replies 19
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Natalie157  Moderate policy:

• Free cancellation until 5 days before check-in (time shown in the confirmation email).
  • After that, cancel before check-in and get a 50% refund, minus the first night and service fee.

So you are not due 100% payment- you are due back 50% plus one night's rate.

Thanks for your reply, Sarah. This is all shown from my app. No more details are provided, nor does it say "Learn more." I'm still confused. Why wouldn't the app, under Booking Settings, state all pertinent details? Especially since this is something as important of a cancellation policy.

IMG_4244.jpeg

@Natalie157 

On your screenshot, you are choosing which cancelation policy to offer your guest. So a guest will be given a full refund if canceled 5 days prior to arrivals per the moderate cancelation policy. Nowhere does it say what you as the host will get. You should consult the cancelation policies here: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/475/how-do-i-choose-a-cancellation-policy-for-my-listing

Exactly, but I, as a host, am the one selecting. I have now fully reviewed the cancellation policies. Honestly, and this isn't my pride (or stubbornness) talking, I still feel like it's murky. I cannot imagine I'm the only host who is confused when this happens. This is my first same-day cancellation; in fact, it's my first same-week cancellation. There were so many threads and online posts dedicated to Airbnb cancellation policies that I couldn't weed through them to find a solution. Thanks for offering your two cents! Happy hosting!

I want to band together on this issue.  Airbnb is clearly in the wrong and it has cost Hosts $s that we deserve to have.  Researching how I can make our voices heard.  I had a horrible experience with Support trying to work through this.  And I am shocked they have made no changes to the setup page to make it clear for future hosts setting up new listing.

Slow down please.  Here is the setup screen for new listings.  Where is there any hint of the text you are sharing?  Should this not be indicated on the screen where a host is setting up a listing?

2021-09-27 16_39_23-Edit listing 'Rainbow Riverside Lodge, Unparalleled Beauty' - Airbnb.png

Why in the world would Airbnb not put the complete information on the listing setup screen?

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Natalie157 

Please note the "Moderate cancellation policy" also refunds some money if cancelled within 5 days before check-in or even after the reservation has started, depending on the nights left:

https://www.airbnb.com/home/cancellation_policies#moderate

Thank you for providing this link. How is this the first time that I'm seeing this information? Do all hosts know these specifics? I'm very proactive and engaged. I take my job as a host seriously, and I take immense pride in hosting wonderful stays for my guests. I'm really upset that there's not more transparency when it comes to Airbnb's cancellation policies. If I'd neglected to read under "Learn more," I'd feel differently. I do rely on their app. I feel like, if hosts are encouraged to edit their listing on the app, all pertinent details should be provided along with the options. I wouldn't have selected this option had I had all of the information. In my opinion, if a guest cancels on the day of check-in, I should receive a full payout or I should have the option to refund should I choose.

@Natalie157 I've always used the Moderate policy myself and that info has always been available when you look up Airbnb cancellation policies, (I've hosted since late 2016) so I'm not sure how you missed it, but obviously somehow you did. 

What Airbnb "encourages" doesn't have anything to do with what is best for hosts. I have never used the app, and while I get frustrated when they change the way things appear on our hosting accounts, I think the desktop version has fewer glitches and more features, as far as posts I've read on that.

@Sarah977 Thanks so much for your input and advice! I'm glad to know you also use Moderate. It's not a stretch to know more info is available via the desktop, but to know it's such vital information that's purposely not included on their app... I'm just frustrated and a little disappointed in Airbnb. I'm a reader. I even have an English degree, for what it's worth. Lol. Had there been a "Learn more" under Moderate, I would get that I was negligent in catching the details. It seemed very black-and-white, though. As the saying goes, "You learn something new every day." I'll be sure to check all of the fine print on the desktop/website, from now on.

Wow, I don't see how you make it without the app. It's so convenient for communicating with guests and checking the calendar. Thanks again for your help! Happy hosting!

@Natalie157  "Wow, I don't see how you make it without the app. It's so convenient for communicating with guests and checking the calendar."

Like anything, I guess it's a matter of what you get used to. I only have a private room listing in my home, don't do fast turnovers (most guests stay at least a week), don't have self-check-in, and work from home, so I've never had to juggle multiple reservations, keep checking the calendar, be available to answer guest questions while in residence, send door codes, or deal with guests and bookings when I'm away from home, so the laptop works fine.

I've also never been a slave to answering inquiries, requests and messages immediately. I certainly try to do so ASAP, but no way am I answering a request at 2 AM. If they are that impatient, and don't respect normal sleeping times, I don't really want them as guests 🙂

The moderate policy has worked fine for me, too. But my location is such that guests have never cancelled last-minute. Only once in 4 years did a guest cancel after the 5 day limit, and I got paid the correct amount.

@Sarah977 I typed in a rush---definitely didn't mean for that "wow" to seem rude. We all work differently; that's what makes the world go 'round. Unfortunately, I'm pretty much a slave to my phone, email, and calendar. Technology can be so helpful and convenient, but it can also be such a pain!

This property is a dedicated short-term rental, a 3 bed/2 bath. Some are here for weeks for a national horse show, some just come for a weekend wedding or to visit family. I'm also listed on other hosting platforms. I don't live on-site. If a current guest needs me, I like to be available. This was my first cancellation within that five-day window.

I admire your attitude about inquiries. I find myself anxious to get back to them fast. Then again, I do other work from my phone, too. I struggle to find a balance, but I am working on it. A big thanks, again, for your insights and assistance. 🙂

@Natalie157  I didn't take the Wow as rude at all. I'm not particularly sensitive  🙂

I looked at your listing-it looks really comfy and pretty and you've got great reviews.

One of the reasons I don't feel pressured to drop everything and rush to respond to inquiries and requests is that I just started hosting because I had a really nice guest room that sat empty most of the year unless friends or family were visiting. So I figured it could be some extra income and I enjoy the guests who I share my home with. I've had guests from Czech Republic, France, Brazil, New Zealand, Russia, Mexico, Canada and the US, all have been interesting people and good guests.

And it is only suitable for 1 guest at a time. So it's never been a big source of income for me that I depend on. Although I dislike it when people characterize that type of hosting as a "hobby"- I can't imagine anyone considering cleaning other people's hair and soap gunk out of the drains as a hobby 🙂

And my place is kind of unique for my area, and so are many of my guests- they aren't the impatient types who will right away book something else because they didn't get a reply in 2 minutes. I've never lost a booking because it took me a few hours to reply. But I normally reply much sooner than that, I just refuse to get stressed about it.