Guest did not show up on check-in date due to wife needing surgery

Guest did not show up on check-in date due to wife needing surgery

We host an expensive airbnb on a lake (sleeps 14, good size) and it's high season for us, July and August are the only two months out of the year we get full week bookings.  We also have a strict cancellation policy, not that this matters because it's check-in time. The night before our guests are due to show up, they let us know that "their arrival would be delayed because my wife needs knee surgery".  3 days later he let us know they would have to cancel their trip completely.  He opened a case with Airbnb and Airbnb has now contacted us asking if we will refund.  Apparently they did not purchase the travel insurance.  We are extremely sympathetic to the situation but honestly cannot afford to lose a week like this (still catching up from unemployment situations of our own).  Are we obligated to refund?  Anyone dealt with this situation that also did not refund?

29 Replies 29

@Michelle3092 

As others have noted, @Helen744 's advice is simply bad. You do not need to contact CS for ANY reason other than to respond to their question about refunding the guest with a "no."

I agree with the others who said while unfortunate, it's not your responsibility to take a business loss. And I thought the same as @Kitty-and-Creek0 that it's odd to have "emergency" knee surgery. It sounds like something that would have been planned. Either way, these guests had a choice to purchase travel insurance for this very reason, they did not, so they have to accept the consequences.

And remember, "No" is a complete sentence!

@Suzanne 301 One mans loss is anothers opportunity. H

Amanda660
Level 10
Auchenblae, United Kingdom

@Michelle3092 how many days are left on their booking and we’re they the only 2 guests on the booking?

I’d be pressing the decline button - some good advice from @Anonymous there about not engaging too much with CS and them instigating a host cancellation.  I’m always happy to offer a refund if dates are re-booked but that’s not an option whilst they still have an active booking. 

4 days left in the week long booking, the group was 10.  The knee surgery was urgent/emergent to remove an infection so I don’t believe it was planned.  Either way it stinks but I feel it was their duty to have purchased travel insurance, I don’t want to bear that burden for them.  that’s gonna be an expensive lesson. 

@Michelle3092  what everyone has failed to mention is that the guest who has not cancelled or been cancelled can still leave a review. H

@Helen744  Every booking is eligible for a review if it's not canceled before the check-in date. Cancelling it now will not change that. And throwing money at the guest won't buy a better one.

I feel like maybe you missed some details in the post? Your advice seems targeted at a very different situation than what was described.

@Anonymous I  think there are details missing for sure .If one out of ten people had a hospital stay then why could the other nine not travel ?If it is 'high season then why not get another guest even put your price up . ? You can just sit and wait out the cancellation for a week, no drama, seems a lazy way to make your money to me, but a guest will not appreciate the lack of effort on the hosts part . We were not told the length of stay or the number of guests initially. My advice remains as it is and is what I would and have done , no one needs to take it  I do not think that guests should lose money when I have a clean house in what is described as high season. I take my chances and do the best by my guests that I can . If Airbnbs travel insurance actually begins to function then the debate is moot. I dont think pocketing 7000 odd bucks for a no show is the way to go . Who can afford that ?I do not count my money before I get it but know that an empty house generally makes no money and if people give me that much money I dont just sit on my hands but do expect to do something for the guests . The very least the cleaning fee needs to be refunded. No one seems to suggest that the host may do something for the guest  or for the guests money . Hosts keeping guests money gives us all a bad rap even if the policy is in place. Also  hosts who  furnish homes with obviously easily damaged furniture and expect Aircover to pay them for damages for soil marks . they live in a different world to me for sure . So maybe I misunderstood . you are as always correct . H

Susan990
Level 10
Redmond, OR

Ask yourself one simple question --- what would  motel do? or what would a hotel do?. Check with your area providers and compare information.  Of course i assume you are registered with your local municipality to operate your business and have purchased insurance for your property and understand the rules of the road of the business you are engaged in.

Susan
Susan990
Level 10
Redmond, OR

Suggestion - do not say or do anything,  Your AirBnb policy and contract agreement do all the talking for you.  If this party had booked a Motel 6 or 8 or anything would they be fussing about on a platform about this reservation?  No. This is business and either you treat it as business or you are not IN business.

Susan
Amanda660
Level 10
Auchenblae, United Kingdom

@Michelle3092 the other 8 could still have come along - it was their choice not to.  The house is all ready waiting for them.  👌

@Michelle3092 

What @Amanda660 said makes sense, unless that would make this into a 3rd party stay.

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Michelle3092 I would say:

"I am sorry to hear that your wife had surgery plans which interfered with your vacation stay. The house is all set up and ready to welcome the remaining guests. We look forward to hosting them!" and leave it at athat.

If they ask again for a refund or say that the rest of the guests aren't coming, I would just say:

"Sorry to hear that. Please review our cancellation policy. We abide by that. As a courtesy I am happy to extend a 10% discount on your stay if you would like to book with us another time and enjoy all of our space has to offer. I wish your wife a speedy recovery and thanks for choosing our space!"

Do not engage after. Do not get into any back and forth. The discount on a future stay is your concession and 99% of the time they won't book. Beyond that, you owe these folks nothing.

As others state - knee surgery is a planned event. In my other. non-airbnb advertized property, I had guests DEMANDING to cancel when I called them and asked why they did not show for check in.

Husband went ballistic threatening ith retaliation and legal what's not....

His wife texted me separately and said "we had a fight and getting divorced"

I bet that is the case in your case LOL

@David8879 I had 2 no show guests in about 170-some odd stays. 

One had an emergency with a parent having a heart attack. Contacted me a day into the reservation and was very polite. Did not ask for a refund. I believed she just had a true emergency and had better things to worry about. 

The other was a couple who broke up ON THE WAY to the stay. There was a long story and a refund demand. I offered the 10% on a future stay, condolences, and just disengaged. They went to ABB. I still declined. I don't know if ABB refunded them or not, but I kept my payout. 

@Laura2592 

yes - there is an emergency and emergency.

Guests might have very decent legit urgent reasons for wanting to cancel and get money back...when they were going to go on the cruise...fly...stay in resort...

What they get to hear is: "Why did not you buy a travel insurance? Oh - you did not want to waste money if nothing happens? Well - guess what - hosts do not want to lose money as well"

ANd that is not to mention that NO travel insurance covers cancelations for last 2 days prior to trip.

People are so used to no accountability for their own miscalculations.... sad indeed....