Guest left an actual thank you note

Guest left an actual thank you note

Hi all,

I read the message board often and have received a lot of helpful information on being a better host however I have never started a conversation before with that said I just had to share my joy.

Today when I went in to clean There was an actual store bought thank you note with my name on it. Inside the sweetest sentiment about my hosting style and space.  

What is the sweetest thing a guest has left you?

Ananda

51 Replies 51
Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Wonderful @Marie-Elsie0 ! Do you have any pictures to share with us?

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Juanita61
Level 2
Bellefontaine, OH

A nice TIP and Great Reviews!

Donald28
Level 10
Lithia Springs, GA

A guest left me a marijuana joint and a $20 bill once. Weird tip! I also had a guest leave me a $50 bill. Repeat guests sometimes bring decorations for the tinyhouse like signs and one lady even painted a rock with our name on it. Lots of guests leave drinks and snacks. A guest gave me a coffee cup. 

Laura2512
Level 3
Toronto, Canada

I had a guest who left me a handwritten thank you card along with a Lake of Bays (where my rental is) set of coasters for my tables, a cheese knife with matching napkins and a bottle of wine.  The cottage was left in excellent shape.  She was one of the best guests I've ever had.  She even invited us over for cocktails one evening.  If only they were all this fabulous!

Michele991
Level 2
Baltimore, MD

A few years back I bought a guest book and the best has been the kids who come back year after year and leave us notes...funny how their writing gets better - or they leave me seashells they find to out in my “collection”

we had make a wish use our place for an ill child - I knew she and her sister were coming so I left them notes, coloring pencils, stickers etc - the note the family left us was beautiful - we were honored to be a part of their journey.  I find you get what you give and we try to bring gratitude and joy to all our guests

Martin333
Level 4
Proendos, Spain

We also have old fashioned guest books in the properties. It is much more personal when guests leave a comment / review - some actually write a full page - . Yes on-line reviews are great but taking the trouble to actually handwrite a note tells us that we got it right (well, most of the times).

Specifically if one has repeat visitors it helps to recall their stay with us. 

And yes, Belgium chocolate - Swiss Kirsch Stängli - .... mhhhh ... lovely guests.

Chastity3
Level 8
Orlando, FL

I'm just starting out and my 2nd guests left me a hand-written thank you note.  My fourth guest had given me a pair of socks, chocolates and a thank you note on their first night. As host, I'm the one leaving the basket of snacks and water in their bedroom and here I'm getting special gifts from my guests!

I've received various gifts, bottles of wine from their trip to the wine country, and lovely notes as well. But the one that startled me was the $100 bill a guest left on the kitchen counter! 

Kathleen

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Ananda14   I have already shared my experience and I wanted to express my appreciation for your post.  The responses have be sweet and wonderful reminders of how appreciative a good segment of the guest population is for the special experience so many of us hosts endeavor to provide.

I know one of the purposes of this discussion forum is to problem solve or vent about difficult guests. It would appear that hosts must all be martyrs who slave away for a few crumbs of acknowledgement and hope their home is not trashed.  I wonder how many potential hosts have been scared away from this business by horror stories :P!   Just saying, thanks for the balance, @Ananda14 

Patricia55
Level 10
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

@Linda108 @Ananda14 

Seconded! 🙂

@Linda108 

Thank you 🙂 I agree that we may have scared off some new host with some of our post. It is important to remember that if hosting was all bad none of us would do it !!!

Ananda

Shauna28
Level 3
Washington, DC

Great thread! I've had a few guests leave written notes which always brightens my day! Another guest brought gifts on arrival: tea and postcards from her native country.  Love the idea of leaving a guest book - getting one today!

Lynn372
Level 1
Malibu, CA

We had a young intern staying with us for the summer who just left yesterday. She left a thank you card that brought tears to my eyes by saying this was the greatest experience of her life. It didn't hurt that she is a student veterinarian and we have horses, goats, sheep, chickens and pets on our ranch. She was able to help with our animals and get a real sense of what her future career will be like. It was a match made in heaven and a truly great experience for her. And for us! She left us a framed photo that she took of the humans and animals on the ranch so we wouldn't forget her. As if we could I confess that the animals help me with hosting. Most people love hanging out with them and they help make a stay at my ranch very memorable and fun. 

Wow, that sounds awesome, Lynn. A great experience for all involved--including the animals!

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

I've had a couple of guests leave thank you notes. Also sometimes guests leave unused, unopened food and canned drinks behind -- presumably they would otherwise throw it away.