Guest took our cleaning supplies and switched our hairdryer

Dean731
Level 1
Denver, CO

Guest took our cleaning supplies and switched our hairdryer

Thanks for everyone who read this. We would like to share our eye-opening experience with this guest who took our cleaning supplies like trash bags, cleaners, screwdriver set, etc. under the sink and switched our hairdryer with his old one. 
The damage was minimal and airbnb covered it. We wish we found out about it before we left a good review for this guy. Airbnb should have the option to give follow-up reviews.
We clean the place ourselves and take pride for the cleanness we keep in this place. The reason we didn’t find out on the day he checked out was because we went on vacation and had our roommate help cleaning it. She forgot to lock the door under the sink. She took pics and sent us on the day this guest checked in and our hair dryer was there. Then on Sunday another roommate went to clean the place but she didn’t notice the hairdryer or the missing cleaning supplies. We left a good review based on our roommates’ comments on their cleanness but found out on Tuesday what happened. 
We have been hosted since 2016 and this is our first time encounter this kind of guest. Glad we have pics to prove what he did on the day he checked in and the day he checked out (see pics below). 

It’s a learning experience for us and would like it to be a learning experience for other hosts. We want to warn you that this is actually something could happen. We confronted this guy and of course he denied it. Not sure if it’s proper to post his info here, so I’m not going to unless I find out about it. I wish I could let everyone know about his guy though. 
I’m thinking about sending this guy a message everyday to teach him stealing is something not proper to do. I’m to a point that not care about the time I waste on this thing just want to make him feel as uncomfortable as how I feel. 
Anyway here is my story of the year and will definitely be the winner on the thanks giving dinner table. Hope you guys enjoy it. Cheers!

18169FA2-AC05-4130-9607-6990D664B5A1.jpeg

4 Replies 4
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Dean731  No, it's not okay to post a guest's name here- personal identifying information will be removed by the moderators. 

Nor is there any point to it- this is an international forum with thousands of hosts- the chances of anyone here getting a booking from this particular guest are tiny.

You have 14 days to leave a review, there is no need to rush to leave one until you are certain of the state of things.

And if you spent some time on this forum, you'd find out that it's not at all unusual for guests to help themselves to supplies that aren't locked up. 24 roll packs of toilet paper, flats of bottled water, entire packages of garbage bags, paper towels, whatever. 

Sorry you got ripped off, but good that Airbnb paid. And don't necessarily think the guest got off scot-free. Airbnb may very well have put a notation on his account, or may even ban him. They won't share that info with you, though.

Thank you Sarah for your reply and thanks for the info you share 🙂

Katrina79
Level 10
Saskatchewan, Canada

@Dean731 @Let it go, don’t send more messages to this guest even if you are tempted to do so. If you really need to blow off some steam try writing down what you would say to the guest in a notebook 😜I’m afraid if you send messages to this guest now that everything is over and has been resolved, it would be harassment. 

Hi Katrina, that’s what my husband said to me as well about the harassment. 😂 The rational me knows it’s not a big deal at all and the loss is covered. But the real me just want to find this guy and through his hairdryer on his face and save my hairdryer from him.

What I feel is like all the rules and laws are for good people. Bad people always get away with it or they don’t get punished enough for what they’ve done. That’s what’s happening in the US. Look at all the robberies and shootings everywhere. Porch thieves in my neighborhood. And there is nothing we can do.