Guests notion is sleeping guest ?

Valerie-Et-Loic0
Level 10
Lille, France

Guests notion is sleeping guest ?

Hi all

i’ve been reading this forum for a short while and the more I read, the more I am worried about something: I am wrong when friends or family visit us when using Airbnb?

situation 1: we are 2, rent full house/ appartment with 2 rooms. We book 4 guests for 1 week and my parents come and stay 1 night ... no problem but paying extra guests and collecting extra taxes. Is there a better way to lower taxes?

situation 2: we are 2, rent full apartment/ house and my parents or friends are coming to see us. We might have a coffee, or meal together, but of course they do no stay for the night.

the more I read this forum and the more I wonder if we can do that. I do not think about having a party, making noise, ... just having a visit during a stay. 
What do you host think? Should we ask before to the host? Is it forbidden on this platform?

Pd sorry for my English, I am French but can find much more information on the English forum 

5 Replies 5
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Valerie-Et-Loic0  When you book an Airbnb, only the guests who are listed on the reservation and paid for are allowed to stay at the accommodation.

If a place says that the maximum guest count is 4, that doesn't mean you can book for 2 and then have 2 more people come. It just means that the maximum number of guests that listing caters to is 4.

And if the maximun guest count is 4, and your booking is for 4, no, your parents can't also spend the night, because that would mean there are 6 people in a house that is only licensed for 4.

Now some places charge a price for the whole place, no matter whether it's 2 guests or 4. And some charge for 2 and then add an extra fee for additional guests. You have to read the listing information or ask the host for clarification before you book to know that. But even if the host charges for the place the same whether 2 guests stay, or 4, you still have to enter the correct number of guests when you book.

It is a security issue for hosts-they need to know who and how many will be staying. They also need to know how many to prepare for so they know how many towels and other things to leave.

As far as having your parents or friends over for a meal or to visit, some listings don't allow visitors at all, some might if you explain the circumstances and ask permission. You have to read the House Rules to find out what the rules are and ask the host if it's unclear.

Renting an Airbnb isn't like renting an apartment or house full time with a lease. It isn't up to you to invite others over, it is up to the host to decide.

Valerie-Et-Loic0
Level 10
Lille, France

Thanks @Sarah977 

we always carefully read house rules and never saw visits are not allowed, at least for full place. 

I was not clear for first case: we are 2, book for 4, and 2 are sleeping only 1 night during a week stay. As a result, local taxes count for 4 for the week. No big deal, only small extra.

@Valerie-Et-Loic0 There is no platform-wide policy on this. As Sarah alluded to, every host/Airbnb will be different, so the best thing you can do is thoroughly read the listing and house rules, and communicate with the host regarding your plans re guests/visitors, whether overnight or otherwise. They will let you know what works for them. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Valerie-Et-Loic0  If there are only 2 of you staying for a week, but others are going to come for only one night, you should explain to the host about that before you book. You can then book for 2, and the host can send you a special offer or additional guest fee that only covers the 2 extra people for the 1 night, however the host wants to handle it. 

You wouldn't need to book for 4 for the whole week if your parents or other family are only staying for 1 or 2 nights. 

Ralf5
Level 10
Inzell, Germany

@Valerie-Et-Loic0 ,

as @Sarah977 explained earlier, you always need to check with the host first ane explain the circumstances. 

In the past I had several guests who asked already before they actually booked the place, if there is an  option to have their parents (or adult children) coming for a week-end while the guests stayed 2 weeks. My apartments are equipped for 4 persons maximum and I am charging an extra fee for the 3rd and 4th person.

Also I had already the case, that a family (parents + 2 children) booked my apartment which is set to 4 persons maximum in my listing. About 2 weeks before check-in, they contacted me and asked, if their oldest son could join them as well for the entire stay (he originally wanted to travel with a couple of frineds elsewhere, but his trip has been cancelled due to Corona restrictions). So I said yes, if they agree I will put an additional fold-up matress with bed sheets etc. - I changed my maximum number of persons from 4 to 5 and asked them to confirm my amendment for the booking. After this I changed it back to 4. In my case this is possible, because I don't have any restrictions in my license regarding the maximum number of persons, in some other places the host may have to follow the local regulations which might be more strict.

As you see, the best way is always to mention this already in your first inquiry. And even if some friends just call you during your stay and want to visit you for a coffee or a dinner with or without overnight stay, you need to check back with your host first. If he doesn't agree you still can meet your friends in a restaurant and if they want to stay over night they need to find a hotel room or may be your host know another place nearby where they can stay.