Guests request full refund a week after check out , threatening to give us a bad review.

Bee174
Level 2
Uniontown, OH

Guests request full refund a week after check out , threatening to give us a bad review.

Long story short for problems that happened during their stay wasWe had a Pool/Spa offer in amenities. We offered "heated spa" with our rent rate, but pool heat we charged separately (listed on listing with disclosure). Guests request pool heat the day they arrive, we didn't collect a fee for it because it was so sudden so we gave them a try anyway. The next day we had the pool start heat, our pool/spa side remote didn't work and we had to call the pool guy to check it out. So we gave them a pool app to turn on "heated spa". It was a pool heater setting issues for both pools/spa cannot turn heat on at the same time. So we apologized to the guest that we cannot turn on the pool heat but Spa heat was working. They had a spa turn on the next and then checked out two days later.

After Guest Check Out, We found a broken light switch and an open electric outlet, electric wired tug in there and bathroom tile broken. We asked guests why they didn't notify us of the broken light switch. They said it caught on fire so they had to pull it out.
We had a certified electrician come in for repair and he didn't see any fire damage, just a broken light switch. Asked the guests for proof of fire but they ignored it.

The guests check out a week before Christmas, the A week later, they filed a claim through Airbnb resolution for full refund. Reason for the claim was "The host is new, so that we don't have to leave a negative review"

Two days later we gave 20% for the guests, 14 days later, we saw the reviews from gusts.  it was rude, name called, etc. I contacted Airbnb customer service to dispute the review because clearly the guests have attention to revenge.

So What do we do  next?

7 Replies 7
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Bee174 

Quoted:

Reason for the claim was "The host is new, so that we don't have to leave a negative review"

This reason is initialy a promise to attempt to violate Airbnb's review policy as it says:

"You’re not allowed to incentivize positive reviews, to use the threat of a negative review to manipulate a desired outcome, or to influence another’s review with the promise of compensation."

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2673/airbnbs-review-policy

Thank you, Emiel. We did notify Airbnb but it seems like everytime I called Airbnb customer service they said someone will call me back which they still have not. I am not sure how long before someone can look at it. I thought Hosting Airbnb should be a good experiences.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Bee174 First, go back and see if there were red flags w/the guest that you missed. Possibly not, they may have been angry that the spa and pool weren't working and so consequently, weren't careful, breaking the outlet and chipping the tile.  I would count yourself lucky that is all the damage they did.  You should have reviewed them, especially knowing they had requested a refund, it was pretty forseeable they would leave a  negative review.

Your place looks amazing, although you might have to do some promos to entice guests to get some more positive reviews.

Assume that Airbnb CS is completely incompetent and that whomever you speak to does not know any of the rules.  Approach all interactions this way.  You will need the Airbnb policy in front of you about extortion reviews along with the communication from the guest.  Refer to both every time.  Step by step.  I would also recommend you contact Airbnb via the message system so you can put the rules in front of the CS person in writing.

Hi Mark, thank you very much. For the pool/spa part we did refund guests which I understand.  I think I might be too informative to guests on listing. I know most guests will try to read it and some guests may not have time to read my "long listing description" . I will try to do some discount on the house and see how it goes. Thank you very much for your advice. = )

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Bee174  Why did you give the guests a 20% discount? There is nothing stopping a guest from leaving a review. Never refund money thinking that will avoid a bad review, it won't.

And why did you not leave a review for this guest?

Hi Sarah,   We gave them a refund for the part of our amenities that was not working such as Spa that didn't heated for 1 day. The spa side remote did not work or communicate with the receiver and the pool guy had to show up and alter the smart remote on the phone.
      We understand it will not stop them from negative reviews which they did leave BAD reviews. Of course, Airbnb customer service is incompetent. I called them 3 times in 1 week and each time I had to explain the same things over and over again.

We didn't give them the review because we missed the review time. I had the reviews started but not submit. I was sick during NEW YEAR and my husband missed the 14 days period to submit it.

@Bee174  Thanks for the explanation. It was a bit confusing what wasn't working that they had a right to have available. I agree that that would warrant some discount. Sorry they didn't appreciate your efforts. 

Too bad you missed the review deadline (and that you were sick), as other hosts would have benefited from being warned about these guests.