Guests want access to “working farm”

Sarah4275
Level 2
Marshall, NC

Guests want access to “working farm”

On our Airbnb listing we mention we are on a working farm, mostly to prepare folks of the potential noise and smells. Lately guests have been wanting more access to our animals, etc. I feel busy enough as it is with out the additional expectation that our farm is a petting zoo! I am potentially open to hosting an experience, but how much can I realistically charge for a farm tour? 

4 Replies 4
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Sarah4275 Sorry but surely one of the attractions of your place is that it is a working farm. I fully agree that there needs to be boundaries (especially if biosecurity is important) but a quick show and tell will go down really well with your guests.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Hello @Sarah4275 from across the oceans and lands in Auckland, New Zealand

Great listing you have.

Have you browsed through Experiences to see what other similar situations where animals are would charge?

There's also some discussions here in CC in respect of liability should their be accidents or injuries which one will need to factor into account.

Maybe create some signs like they have in Public Parks/ Domains where livestock are and how it's animals territory and risks are the responsibility of the visitors.

What breed of cows/ bulls are the black and white cattle in your listing?

Hi Helen, @Helen427 

Thanks for your thoughtful response! I will certainly think about your suggestions. The black and white cows are called Belted Galloways. Originally from Scotland, we love them! We just had two calves born in February 🙂 

It's a pleasure @Sarah4275 

Do you name your cows and calves and other animals?

If so, do you have a theme each year to name them after?

I ask because we used to name our farm animals and I had a delightful lady stay from the South Island who bred calves and cows and named them after all manner of interesting things, including classical Musicians!

@Sarah1 @Sarah3598 @Sarah3597 @Sarah97 @Sarah64 @Sarah1122 @Sarah-and-Tim1 @Sarah-and-Les0 @Sarah-And-Ron0 @Sarah-and-Jan0 @Sarah-And-Guy0 @Sarah-And-Paul0 @Gallo6 @Le-Gallou0 @Corte-Del-Gallo0 @CoWano0 @Terracota-Coworking0 @Calvez0 @Owl-Farm0 @Farmhouse0 @Meadow-Farm0 @Derekafarmer0 @Owl-Farm0 @Bay-Farm-LLC0 @Skyberry-Farm0 @Barefoot-Farm0