Guests who have never been in a big city before

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Guests who have never been in a big city before

I often read here about guests who have never been to the country and are in total shock from seeing wildlife or hearing country noises or having to manually do you things  for themselves. 

I often encounter the opposite. Most common is an expectation of a driveway followed by city sounds. The third most common is a shock that we actually do have wildlife around here as well.

I grew up in a big city but we always went to the country in the summer so I am very familiar with both concepts and so it is hard for me to be in the shoes of the people who are not. I can see how country can be a shock to somebody but I would imagine absolutely everyone at this point has watched some sort of movie where they saw what a downtown of a big city looks like, right? I I need someone’s different perspective on this so I don’t burst out laughing in my guest’s faces every time they look for a driveway.

1 Reply 1
Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Inna22  we get a lot of guests from Baltimore and DC who are not familiar with life in the country. Namely, insects, animals wandering through the yard, the seasonal manure smell from area farms when they fertilize fields, the need for 4 wheel drive after a winter storm, the ability to start a fire safely, using a sink without a disposal/being on well and septic, etc.  They complain about all of the above!