Guests without profile pictures or reviews

Guests without profile pictures or reviews

I am new to AirBNB, I just listed my home last week. I have a stay request from an individual that does not have a profile picture or any stay reviews. The only information I have is that they joined in 2015. It seems strange to me if they joined in 2015 they have no reviews.

I want to be as cautious as possible and was wondering if it is a good idea to require a registration form to be filled out so I can get more information before deciding on approving them, or if there are specific questions I can ask to ensure this is going to be a good guest. I have read on different forums that to require a registration form it has to be in the listing. I have no problem editing the listing to include this information. I am not sure what to include on the registration form so I am getting the right information without prying too much.

I appreciate any assistance you have.

5 Replies 5
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Annmarie62 

You can ask the guest the questions you have (but do not violate Airbnb's discrimination policy).

Examples (excuse my english...):

"i notice your profile has no reviews, is this the first time you will use Airbnb ?"

If no ID verfied in profile, ask for ID verification

If stay is for longer time period ask "what is the purpose of your stay (or: visiting xxxxxx)" ?

Please note: a profile picture is only visible when the reservation is confirmed, also adding a profile picture to an account is not an obligation.

This is helpful. Thank you!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Emiel1  It's an obligation if the host has marked that it is required. It's the only available requirement in Airbnb settings for Requests.

Although you can't see a guest's photo until a booking is confirmed, that circle where a photo will appear has a letter in it if the guest does have a profile photo uploaded, and will appear as a grey sillouette if there is no profile photo.

That is great to know! This person has a picture then, I see a C in the spot for the picture. This makes me feel much more comfortable and is great information. Thank you

@Annmarie62  Be aware, though, that Airbnb only says profile photo, but doesn't require that it be a photo of their face- it could be a photo of their cat, a cartoon character, or a plate of spaghetti. 

So if that's what it ends up being, tell the guest you require a clear photo of themselves.

As far as the profile from 2015, but no reviews, don't be shy to ask guests about things like that.

"Hi, XX, I noticed that you've had an Airbnb account since 2015, but not any reviews. I'm sure there's a reasonable explanation, but I'm curious as to why that is?"

I've had about 3 guests where that was the case. It was for various reasons, but all quite innocent. One had had 2 Airbnb stays but the hosts hadn't reviewed her,  one joined planning a trip but never ended up being able to take the trip, one had always travelled with her husband in the past, and their reviews were under his profile. As they all turned out to be good guests, I had no reason to disbelieve them.