Have you noticed a change in the types of inquiries you get?

Maxine33
Level 8
Alexandria, VA

Have you noticed a change in the types of inquiries you get?

I have been very encouraged at the number of inquiries I have been receiving over the last two weeks but they are different than pre-COVID.

- I let my place out monthly and have instant book on so the majority of guests have always just booked without messaging first.

- The 90% of people that email me do book within a few days or let me know they have made other plans.

- Nobody has ever specifically asked me to circumvent the system before.

In the last two weeks I have had lots of questions but not bookings and two people specifically asked me to communicate outside of the system.  One wanted my website and the other (who is also a host and should know better) sent me her phone number of the course of three messages in the Airbnb system.  

Has anyone else noticed a new trend?

9 Replies 9

Yes have noticed a change and other hosts say the same.  IMO its caused by a few things, people having alot more uncertainty due to their lives and jobs suddenly being upended.  Second, new users coming to airbnb looking for deals or taking advantage of what they think are desperate hosts.  Finally, a degrading of trust overall, due to never ending lockdowns and social isolation.

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

New enquires have all been asking the same question; “Can I get a full refund if I cancel”.

The answer is always ‘no’ because AirBnb won’t override their service fees, but somehow the host needs to reassure the guest in any way they are able.

Debra300
Top Contributor
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0,

Whenever I've gotten inquiries about refunds, I always recommend to the guest to avoid any potential issues with refunds to wait until they are sure about their travel plans before making a reservation, and blocking a host's calendar.

Don't just believe what I say, check the Airbnb Help Center

@Debra300 

Here in the UK we're working on being open after July 4th. It might not actually work out like that so guests don't want to be penalised by events out of their control should they not be able to travel. If they can, I'd like them to stay so it works both ways. Most of our enquiries are domestic, so are completely reliant on government allowance.

Debra300
Top Contributor
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0,

Thanks for adding more context.  Your first statement made it appear that guests were asking you for assurance that they would get a full refund for any reason. 

I just read a bit of a Telegraph article that Culture Secretary said he's hopeful that self-catering accommodations will be at the head of the queue to re-open.  So, fingers crossed for all of you in the UK.

Don't just believe what I say, check the Airbnb Help Center
Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

I have also been receiving inquiries like that one, One asked me to contact them outside of the system and I refused and reported it.  The next day I received this email From Airbnb so it does look like they are policing the system a bit.  Stay well, JR

Hi Melodie And John,
We’re reaching out because you were recently in contact with an account that was removed for violating the Airbnb Terms of Service.
Airbnb will never ask you to verify a listing or pay for anything outside of our site, through email, or through a third-party booker. If you sent money outside of Airbnb, you may have paid for a fraudulent reservation. Let us know what happened, and we’ll recommend next steps.
If someone asked you to communicate directly by email or through Facebook, or copy and paste a URL (http://www...) into a new browser window, or otherwise pay or communicate outside of the Airbnb website or app, we ask that you stop communication with them immediately.
If you did share personal information, like a password, please update your password immediately. If you use that same password for any other accounts (like your email), we recommend changing your password there too.
Visit our Help Center for more information about recognizing scams and keeping your account secure. You can always report a profile or listing directly through the Airbnb website or app.
Thanks,
The Airbnb Trust & Safety team

During this pandemic I noticed I had been getting more inquiries than ever before; I answered their inquiries and Pre-approved the bookings only expired!   One occasion the guest wanted to me cash and she is a super host!   I didn’t accept that!  

Also I had a very disrespectful guest; a foreigner from Spain and works as an intern in SF; very disrespectful, lied to me, smoked at my roofdeck!  I found a joint and 2 vapors inside my kitchen trash bin; broke my Viking stove; told me to wear my headset when I am online for my class; and wrote me a note to be respectful when she is at a meeting; invited her friend over without asking me!  My friend told me I can kick her out!  I am so glad I did!  I wish I knew as a host I have the right to kick her out sooner!  I kicked her and boyfriend out the day before the check out!   

Cheryl389
Level 7
Keyport, NJ

In my case, a lot of new people are using Airbnb. I haven't been having a great time, since I have been asked for unreasonable discounts, for refunded money following a stay with no reported issues, etc. I hope everything calms down and goes back to normal because it isn't reasonable to have every guest I have want money out of me even though they used the product. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

It is interesting how those few months affected everything .... I didn't change but somehow the world around me did ...