Help! A guest cancelled but I didn't cancel the reservation when notified and now the charge has gone through....how do I refund the client?

Nicolette54
Level 1
Rochedale, Australia

Help! A guest cancelled but I didn't cancel the reservation when notified and now the charge has gone through....how do I refund the client?

Please can you assist.  A client booked but cancelled due to inclement weather forecast for the weekend. 

I didn't 'cancel' and hence the charges went through.

How do i do a refund to the client?

thanks,

Nicolette

2 Replies 2
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Nicolette54 Never cancel on behalf of a guest. You will get all the penalties, which are extensive. Guests always have the ability to cancel on their own. 

You can send them whatever amount you wish to return, through the resolution center.

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/990/host-penalties-for-cancelling-reservations

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Nicolette54  Unless there is some major weather emergency that really prevents guests from travelling or would pose a danger, you shouldn't be refunding guests who simply cancel because there's a forecast for rain or something.

Guests don't just get to be refunded because they changed their mind about coming for whatever reason, and doing so just gives them the false idea they can do this to other hosts. So don't be too quick to hand out refunds. Guests should be willing to abide by the cancellation policy they booked under, and hosts shouldn't be afraid to uphold that agreement, otherwise there is no sense in a host having a cancellation policy at all.

It doesn't mean you can't make a choice to refund them if you feel they have a good reason to cancel, but a weather report that simply means they might not be able to do the outdoor stuff they had planned to do isn't a valid reason for being refunded.