Help: Property not as described and having issues getting refund

Help: Property not as described and having issues getting refund

I'm hoping for some advice. I booked an AirBnB for five nights yesterday morning and checked in last evening. The listing read "potential for some noise," but upon checking in it became evident the noise was absolute and guaranteed. The property is directly under the landing path for a nearby airport and so airplanes fly about 75 feet overhead every five or so minutes, making it extremely loud within the unit even with all windows closed, to the point that things rattle inside. It was impossible to sleep last night as a result. I contacted the host late last night and asked to cancel my reservation after the first night - I was willing to pay that plus cleaning fees. When he refused, staying the "potential for noise" in the description absolved him of anything, I began the claims process directly with AirBnB. I sent a full transcript of my correspondence with the host including video from last night documenting the regular and persistent airplane noise. The agent has been less than helpful. She seems to simply be relaying information back and forth but not advocating in any way. The host at this point has said if I cancel my reservation he will refund me any amount he is able to re-book the property for, which is not an acceptable solution. I've asked the AirBnB agent to have a manager call me but that may take 24 hours. We have left the property but the agent has said not to select the cancel option as that would eliminate our chance for any sort of refund. Does anybody have any sort of advice on how to best resolve this? At this point $2000 has been charged to my credit card. Thank you.

1 Reply 1
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Chris14739 

i wondered: did the host have any reviews and was the noise mentioned by other guests ?

Maybe he host is willing to shorten the reservation ("change"option") and amend the price in the change form to what is a fair deal. You can also sent a change request by using same option, but already some days have passed....

Airbnb can only refund if issue is considered as a "travel issue", by cancelling the reservation on behalf of the host.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/3028/travel-issues-eligible-for-refunds