Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Help with reviewing a guest

Ruth413
Level 10
Moreton, United Kingdom

Help with reviewing a guest

Hi All,  Just looking for other hosts thoughts on writing this review.  Our guests had booked a 4 night stay in our Thatched Shepherd Huts which are situated in the countryside in a wooded gladed area.

Day before arrival a nightmare happened as in the Hot Tub heater broke.  We immediately informed guests that we had ordered a new part which would arrive on the day of arrival and would be fixed that day but would not be heated up enough until the following day.  Offered them some type of compensation which we could discuss on arrival or asked if they would like to cancel.  Response from them no all fine the place looks fantastic with or without hot tub.

Arrival night.  All good, place is amazing.  A couple of issues with them not being able to work outside lights and t.v. but went over and sorted that for them (All instructions in welcome pack)

Day 1 - message asking re hot tub and also a situation where guest had a spider phobia and found a spider in the huts during the night and this had led to a stressful night for them.  They had noticed our other guests leave our other holiday cottage that morning and could they move into there, or is there anything else I could do to help them ?  

Really !!!  Why would you book a shepherds hut let alone a thatched one in the countryside if you have a spider phobia ???  Anyway hot tub was up and running but because of the trouble with it, yes they can stay in the cottage after a manic change around but couldn't guarantee no spiders because this was a 300 year old thatched cottage !  If they would like to cancel, we totally understand.  

Anyway she has now put a review in, it is meant to be for the huts but obviously they only stayed in there one night and apparently didn't have a very good experience.  Question is how do I review this, do I mention issues with Hot Tub, Spider Phobia ? Everything else was fine, and clean and tidy.  They were very gushy, place is fantastic, amazing, we saw a hedgehog etc. etc. and even left a note and a box of chocolates, but something is nagging at me and to be honest I wouldn't fancy having them back again as quite high maintenance.

Advice would be great.  

4 Replies 4
Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Ruth413 people are strange, hey?!

If they left chocolates I think your review will be ok, but just be honest.

Guests expressed their needs thoroughly and often. Future hosts are advised to make sure their space is 100% arachnid-free if indeed that is possible.

Guests left a kind gift and effusive thanks.

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Ruth413 It begs belief but the insect issue in a rural property is a very real one. Many guests apparently have never seen a bug in their entire lives. I would put something in your listing stating that insects are common on your property due to its countryside location and they occasionally get indoors despite anyone's best efforts: if guests are phobic they may be more comfortable in a more controlled environment. That way if this happens in the future Airbnb will be more likely to side with  you in a dispute. 

I would review as follows "So and so were friendly and communicative when they arrived. We are concerned that they were uncomfortable due to our property being in a rural location with natural elements such as insects. We would recommend these guests for hosts who offer a more controlled environment and hotel-like stay. Unfortunately not a fit for ours or other rural spaces. "

Ruth413
Level 10
Moreton, United Kingdom

@Mike-And-Helen0 @Laura2592 Thanks for your advice and apologies for late reply, keyboard decided to blow up and 84 year old mother with Alzheimers managed to book a 2 week cruise round the Caribbean for 2 weeks leaving in 10 days time !  Rather puts a spider phobia down the list of worries !

Anyway will definitely get onto updating my listings with things to know - could be insects !  Will obviously word it differently.  And have put my thoughts for the review below.  Tweaks are welcomed if you think necessary.

x and x were friendly guests who left everything clean and tidy and communicated well.  Unfortunately x has a spider phobia which left her uncomfortable staying in The Huts, we did manage to relocate them to our cottage for the remainder of their stay which they seemed very happy with and they very kindly left a box of chocolates and a thank you note.  

@Ruth413 I hope the cruise thing ends well xxx

Great review.