Host Canceled two days before trip

Morgan348
Level 2
Portland, OR

Host Canceled two days before trip

How is it fair to the customer when a Host (Kendra from Indio, CA) can cancel a reservation 2 days before the trip, and receive a $100 fine (which the customer does not get, btw), but if the customer cancels within 2 MONTHS of the trip, they have to pay 50% of the total? Explain to me how that keeps a Host from canceling at anytime, regardless of the major inconvenience (and financial loss) that places on the customer?

Additionally, since there never was a "stay", they refuse to allow the customer to add a review of the Host. It is absolutely ludicrous how much Airbnb will screw over the customer to protect the homeowner. By blocking a customers ability to leave a fair review of their experience with a Host, they are allowing future customers to be shafted by these un-ethical hosts.

And if you are wondering why the Host canceled, all I received was a message that "the homeowner has decided to stay. Sorry here is your refund". Now, for medical emergencies and other extenuating circumstances, I can understand a cancelation on such short notice. But clearly this is a I-changed-my-mind deal, and the customer has a ruined trip because of it.

What are my options to receive fair treatment in this situation?

3 Replies 3
El32
Level 1
Beaverton, OR

Yes the same owner has done the exact thing to us. Cancelled with little to no notice, refuses to take phone calls.

What is likely the case, is that the property is very conveniently located to the Polo Grounds. On big weekends when demand is high, they are contacted post reservation by another party offering more money under the table. The owner then cancels on the reservation holder thus bypassing any associated Air BnB fees, then collects direct payment for the last-minute party.

Unless Air BnB begins more thoroughly vetting their owners or suitably penalizing owners that undermine their service it will become a larger issue.

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Morgan348, @El32 

Terrible behaviour by the host. Can You post a link to that listing?

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Morgan348 @El32 very sorry that happened to you. If you call Airbnb they may help you find another place to stay and/or give you a discount coupon.

FWIW, Airbnb will post an automatic review stating that the host cancelled the stay XX days before check-in. Also, a host who cancels loses their "superhost" status. So, you do have the option of choosing hosts who have no history of cancelling.

It does seem unfair. On the other hand, if you monitor this forum you will see many, many instances of guests cancelling last-minute and getting a complete refund from the host courtesy of Airbnb's decision, regardless of the host's cancellation policy. So, it does go both ways.

Airbnb lacks any reasonable trip insurance program.