Host guarantee program

Bakraam0
Level 2
Milton, Canada

Host guarantee program

I have been with Airbnb close to 3 years now, I always thought Airbnb customer service was quick and helpful in resolving damages caused by guests, but recently and specially the start of 2020, I am finding not only the response time is slow but the resolution when reimbursing is usually 25 to 50% of what is claimed. This may have been impacted by COVID-19, but this is not fair, Airbnb should be behind their Hosts providing support.

A recent issue I had where a small group of guests rented my place during the first phase of opening after the shut down of COVID-19, the social gathering rule in Ontario, Canada is 10 people Maximum, the guests were supposed to be 10 or less, they ended up inviting others and their final number were 15 guests, they were loud and abused using the fire pit, the neighbors called the authority and complained.

The authority showed up to the property and warned my guests. 

One day after they checked out, the local authority called me requesting to meet in person, when I did, they charged me for violating a provincial law.

I opened a case against the guests for reimbursement, the guest refused to pay, Airbnb customer care has offered me less than 25%!!

I thought when hosts provide evidence such as photos, receipts, or any related documents then Airbnb should cover the cost under host guarantee program!

But the answer I get from Airbnb is that that the guest is not responding or refusing to pay therefore Airbnb is covering a small percentage of the claim.

My question to Katherine and the Airbnb customer care, what is the point of setting up a security deposit where the guest agrees to pay at the time of booking?

Shouldn't Airbnb charge guests regardless if they respond or refuse damage claims?

I would appreciate a response from customer service. 

Thanks

2 Replies 2
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Personally in a situation like the one you described, as soon as I knew from CCTV (presuming you have this as you list remotely with a larger property)  I would have gone there or had my local co-host go there and ensure the additional guests left - rather than risk being fined for your guests breaking Covid legislation.

I agree if it was made clear to your guests of maximum numbers who could stay/visit and there would be fines for non compliance the guests should pay the fine.

Airbnb don’t monitor these community forums but I know you can ask for arbitration if you are not happy with the outcome of their decisions under the guarantee. 

Bakraam0
Level 2
Milton, Canada

Thanks for your reply Helen, I do have CCTV on the property and I do check periodically, this situation with the loud noise happened after 12 midnight where I was asleep and I actually live about 2 hours from the property.

By the time I found out they had checked out already.

Regardless the concern is how Airbnb handles claims and reimbursement, I am not sure how other hosts set up their security deposit and it seems its irrelevant to Airbnb whether there is a security deposit that a guest agrees to upon booking.

As far as I know Airbnb policy does not allow charging guests  security deposit in advance!!