Host has texted me asking to book direct after the booking is confirmed on Airbnb

Neil562
Level 2
Banbury, United Kingdom

Host has texted me asking to book direct after the booking is confirmed on Airbnb

Hi there, I have booked a villa for the summer and the booking has been accepted and confirmed by the host via Airbnb and I have paid 50% of the rental already. Recently the host contacted me via text message to my phone saying that somehow I have booked for the old prices and that the villa owner has increased the price by 35%. In order to avoid him having to increase the price the host said I should book direct with him to avoid Airbnb taking the 15% charges. 
I know this is against the Airbnb rules and the red flags are well and truly flying.

I have replied saying that I am not willing to do this, and in anticipation of him cancelling I started searching for another villa. 
To my surprise I see the exact same villa showing as available for my dates offered by a different host for about 10% more than I booked it for.

This is screaming scam to me, any advice on my next steps please?

5 Replies 5
Kate867
Level 10
Canterbury, United Kingdom

@Neil562 Yes, lots of red flags here.  You really need to keep all communication between yourself and the Host on the Airbnb messages so that it can all be seen by customer services in the event of a dispute.  I would certainly message the Host back, on the app, confirming the details of his text message.  Airbnb take a dim view of taking bookings ‘off platform’.   I would also contact Airbnb and explain what is happening, take some screenshots of both properties so they can see what is going on.  Whatever you do, do NOT cancel it yourself. If the Host cancels, then his calendar will be blocked for those dates.. I suspect this is what he is thinking will happen, hence the second listing and if Airbnb see this they will probably take it down.  In your position I would try to get it resolved as soon as possible but would certainly be looking for an alternative place to stay.

Neil562
Level 2
Banbury, United Kingdom

Thanks Kate, great advice, that’s what I was thinking of doing. Will message him now and contact Airbnb.

Neil562
Level 2
Banbury, United Kingdom

I messaged the host pasting in the text message I received and he hasn’t replied to me yet. I have done more digging and it appears that this property is being listed by 3 different hosts from 3 different rental agencies for 3 different prices and two different names. It’s showing up as available still with the other 2 rental agency hosts on Airbnb. All the rental agencies appear to have legitimate websites with loads of other villas on there and varying levels of independent reviews. The property is also listed on VRBO.  

I guess the owner of the villa has instructed all of these agencies and is planning to accept the highest price and these agencies are primarily using Airbnb as a marketing tool.  
The question I want to know is where I stand having already booked with Airbnb, is he going to cancel on me at the last minute?

@Neil562  You need to report this to Airbnb and ask them to cancel the booking for you with full refund of what you have paid. This is way too scammy and you shouldn't even entertain the thought of staying there. 

Hosts are not allowed to change a price for a confirmed guest nor try to get you to book off-platform.

Make sure not to book something else before you get this cancelled, or you will be charged for both.

Mark4161
Level 1
United Kingdom

@Neil562 what was the outcome with this? 

Mark Simpson