Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Host made a promise but now is denying it

Host made a promise but now is denying it

Hi

my family booked an Airbnb in London for a reunion and break, and the host told us we could pay for 3 of us but if more people could come that it was fine. My two cousins are now going to come and the host is saying he never said that and we can’t have them, that he won’t let us in if they come. We can’t cancel or we’ll loose the money, but the host is being stubborn. What can we do?

14 Replies 14

I forgot to say he told us that over the phone. He asked to speak to everyone coming when we booked and he told all of us it’d be fine.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Why didn’t you simply include the number of guests when booking, @Kelly1601? That aside, I’d find it difficult to believe a host saying bring however many you like. Miscommunication, maybe? 

And if you’ve got nothing in writing, there’s little recourse I’m afraid.

I appreciate your response thank you @Gordon0. We didn’t know fo sure how many could come but we really liked the house. He told the 3 of us that if a few more family members had to come it was fine because there were enough beds. Why would he pretend it never happened? 😞 

What is the maximum occupancy of the listing @Kelly1601? If it’s more than 3, have you tried sending the host a ‘change booking’ request with the extra guests added? 

If it isn’t, I guess the host has changed their mind, which is their prerogative, even though it feels unfair given that they agreed verbally at first. There isn’t much you can do. Next time be sure to book a listing with an occupancy that matches your guest list. 

The occupancy is 8. We haven’t tried to send a request like that only talked to him on the phone. Thank you for the suggestion, I hope it works!

@Kelly1601  Here's the thing:  the details that appear in your booking confirmation (including the guest count you entered) are a binding contract, but any other arrangements that were discussed are not binding - even if you perceived them as a "promise." If you want to keep the booking and have the right to bring your cousins, you'll have to submit a change request to your host and modify the guest count, which might involve additional fees (which makes sense, of course - 5 people use more linens and utilities than 3).

If your host confirms the change, you can bring your group of 5. If he doesn't, then either your cousins will have to find somewhere else to stay, or you'll have to cancel and accept the loss. It's not in your power to force the host's hand on whom he lets into his own property.

In the future, if you're uncertain about the total number of guests at the time you book, enter the maximum upfront as your head count. I also recommend sticking to well-established hosts with a lot of reviews and a small number of listings; the miscommunications are likelier to happen with inexperienced hosts and with overstretched multi-property managers. 

I didn’t know … I’ll be more careful next time. So his word means nothing unless it’s on paper or the booking is changed? @Anonymous 

@Kelly1601  Even if it had been on paper, it still means nothing until the contract (your booking) is changed. Up until that point, the host is still free to change his mind.

Ok understand, thank you @Anonymous 

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

If the host accepts more guests than the numbers you have booked for it would be unusual for them to deny your request to add extra guests to the booking, as long as you do it through an amendment to the booking on Airbnb. @Kelly1601 

What are the hosts reviews like?

It seems strange for them to want to talk to you on the phone. As it says on the Airbnb platform you are best keeping all communications on the platform.

Legally speaking it's irrelevant what the host discussed with you on the phone or even if he confirmed extra numbers could stay on Airbnb messaging.

If the host denies your request. Just ask your cousins to find somewhere to stay close to your listing. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Anonymous I believe verbal undertakings have weight under English law. The difficulty @Kelly1601 faces is that it is very hard to prove wha someone said unless it is recorded.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Kelly1601  It's best to keep all  communication on the Airbnb messaging. Especially if you are discussing anything you might need documentation for otherwise. If a host insists on or says they prefer communicating by phone, text, or whatsapp, that could be a red flag that they don't want any paper trail. 

But as others have pointed out, a user isn't bound by what they might verbally, or even in writing might say. Its the booking itself which is a binding contract. 

There are times when it's fine to communicate by phone or other means, like if you want to let the host know you'll be checking in later than you told them because you're stuck in traffic, etc. Simple stuff that has no potential for controversy.

Debra300
Top Contributor
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Kelly1601,

I may be wrong (frequently I am), but it sounds like there was a misunderstanding in the discussion with the hosts.  He probably meant that there wouldn't be any problem with adding your family members to the reservation so they would be registered guests, and you pay the difference for the additional people, if applicable.  He probably assumed that you understood that everyone needs to be registered and paid for, because it's standard for renting anything (additional drivers, persons dining,  etc.).  So, the host is probably correct in that he didn't say that five people could stay for the price of three.  Was there any mention of additional costs when you informed the host that your cousins would be joining you?  If so, did you offer to pay? 

Don't just believe what I say, check the Airbnb Help Center