Host want to use WhatsApp instead?

Host want to use WhatsApp instead?

I am trying to book a stay that has no previous reviews. The listing looks real. I reserved and the host sent me “Hello Ada, First of all i want to apologize for my late answer for you but is hard for me to see all the time my messages in airbnb account. The second, i am glad that you are interested to rent my beautiful apartment. But until to accept your reservation here in airbnb, i will need to discuss with you some details, and that details i cannot discuss here because the words will be hidden, in this case in my next message will be a picture, write me there your name and the dates you want to book so i can remember you and to discuss about your reservation. Thank you!” with an attached WhatsApp account number. 

this sounds concerning. 

4 Replies 4
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Ada3564   If you are concerned, keep looking for another rental.  While there may not be a problem with this host wanting to communicate via Whatsapp (as AirBnB does redact a lot of information from conversations until you have paid for a booking) it is IMO better that you stay on the platform.

If you do communicate via Whatsapp and the host requests that you pay off the AirBnB platform, find a different rental.  Then report the host.

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

@Ada3564 

I think it's pretty obvious what the host is trying to do, I dont do business off the platform I have all the protection I need from airbnb once the host goes off airbnb and takes a direct booking she has no protection.

If the host is asking for money upfront then neither do you,

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Ada3564  this is not advisable. there is no way they can't use the ABB app but somehow use whatsapp? if it smells fishy, it's fishy.  

Gwen386
Level 10
Lusby, MD

@Ada3564 Stop responding to this host. Do you really want to stay anywhere in which the host does’t even follow airbnb TOS?

Run, don’t walk, away from this listing!