Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Host wanting to change cancellation policy after booking - guest in agreement - how to execute

David-And-Lauren1
Level 1
Louisville, KY

Host wanting to change cancellation policy after booking - guest in agreement - how to execute

Hello,

As a host I would like to change the cancellation policy for a stay that is already booked. It is for the Derby - a three day event that happens once a year. The demand is super high and so we need to have a firm/strict cancellation policy in place. However, the current guest booked before I changed it this year (haven't booked since pre-pandemic.

I have a great rapport with the guest via messages on AirBnb, and they are in agreement with the cancellation policy change.  

Is there a way for me to make this change without them having to cancel and re-book? I did just update my policy on the listing but I assume that only applies to future bookings.

Thank you!
David

2 Replies 2
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@David-And-Lauren1 

Yes, the cancellation policy only affects new bookings.

IMHO a deal is a deal, and the guest should not be bothered by "errors" made by the host.

The only way to apply the  new cancellation policy is using change request ( by the host) and change the dates on the reservation (and change them back to the original dates in a second change request)

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1503/changing-the-listing-on-a-confirmed-reservation

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@David-And-Lauren1 I wouldn't worry too much. If the guest is reliable they won't cancel and even if they do you should get rebooked quickly.