Hosting Issues in Gulfport, Florida

Michael6618
Level 2
St. Petersburg, FL

Hosting Issues in Gulfport, Florida

Recently, the Gabber, a local newspaper, printed articles on community pushback on airbnb rentals. Short-term rentals are illegal in Gulfport and a small group of angry citizens are pushing elected officials to ramp up code enforcement. They say short-term rentals are the cause of housing shortages, the degradation of established neighborhoods and a lack of affordable annual rentals. While it is true, short-term rentals have an impact, it is not clear to what extent they are a cause when other influences are considered. Influences such as a high percentage of investor purchased homes, condos and apartments, lack of space to build, supply chain issues, conflicts with zoning designations, wages and retirement income not keeping up with rising costs, and an influx of many new residents moving to the state. 

I have spoken to a sitting council member and the code enforcement officer of Gulfport and believe there is an opportunity to generate a broader, more thoughtful and accurate assessment of what is causing the housing crisis. If you own and operate a short-term rental in Gulfport, FL, please get in touch and let's discuss ways to influence what could be bad news for airbnb's in Gulfport.

Michael

** Personal details hidden **

4 Replies 4
Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Michael6618

That sounds like a rather challenging situation indeed, though congrats on taking some definitive steps already towards improving it! I wonder if you've tried checking in with Hosts in the Central Florida Host Club as well? There might be some Hosts from Gulfport there that could support your efforts. 

Thanks, 

Emilie

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

Hi Emilie, thanks for responding, I will take your advice. In the meantime, I have met with our City Councilwoman again and she has forwarded links to about a dozen articles I provided her to the Mayor and other Council members. The articles provide a bigger picture that places the effect of short-term rentals in context of more influential market forces. Thanks again and take care.

Michael.  I just saw this forum in a search I was doing for complaints of Airbnb's in Gulfport.  I am researching this issue. My husband and I would like to help you with your efforts to convince the Gulfport council and community about the benefits of Airbnb properties in Gulfport and how it can help the economy of Gulfport.  A lot of people have been doing Airbnb's here and it has brought a lot of tourism to the area.  We bought here last year and would like to Airbnb an accessory dwelling in our backyard.  We are for Airbnb to be acceptable in the wonderful little village.  Gulfport just hired another code enforcement officer and will be cracking down on all of these.  They have purchased software to crack down on this and impose fines.  I want to bring all of the folks who have or would like to have Airbnbs in Gulfport together to fight this.  It has brought so much revenue to the area and it is improving the area. 

Teri **[Phone number hidden due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines]

I would love to do airbnb in my Gulfport home, let me know if I can help